1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 reasons why dogs are given up

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

1. Impulse buyers who suddenly realize they must housetrain the puppy
    2. Parents who "gave in" and thought the kid would be responsible
    3. Parents who don't "get" puppy nipping, and think they got an aggressive puppy
    4. People who didn't train the dog - and now can't understand why they have the equivalent of a juvenile delinquent jumping all over them (ever wonder why most shelter dogs are adolescent males? just as obnoxious as the human variety)
    5. Co-dependent women who must move in with that boyfriend who doesn't want the dog (or the marriage certificate)
    6. Pregnant women who give the dog up because they are "afraid it will hurt the baby". (And, you got a pup when you got pregnant why? To get a "head start"? Your dog isn't a doll.)
    7. Families who "can't possibly take" their elder relatives' ancient dog - but they never refuse to take the inheritance...
    8. Moving (why on earth would you move to a place that won't take your whole family?)
    9. Barking & howling - and so you got a terrier, or a hound, why???
    10. Stupidity - covers all the other bases, doesn't it?

2. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Great post. Too bad its all true.

3. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Wow Mary -- What timing!!

I am planning to get my first rescue dog in the next couple of days. The dog is two years old and the family is saying it is allergies that is causing them to let the dog go. Hmmmmmm.

My husband doesn't believe them. I did - the story got really medical and technical!

I honestly thing it is a shedding thing --they didn't realize getting a double coated dog would mean double the fur -- with the added bonus of that fluffy stuff that floats around in the air! My husband thinks it is because he is still an adolescent male and hasn't been trained.

Anyway -- your post really struck a cord with me. Wish me luck with the on the spot evaluation and the adoption.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my 2 current siamese rescue fosters were given up due to allergies. I believe those people but also I was in the house - I don't think it's the cats but their environment.
    Something about bare insulation covering their doors and windows makes me wonder. Bet they will have allergy issues this year too in spite of them giving up the cats

5. hermann muenster

Bringing a Third Dog Into The Family

I am planning to add a rescue dog to my family. We have for many years been a two dog home -- but I understand that the dynamics changes quite a bit with a third dog. They really become a pack. I am starting to have second thoughts.

This dog is a two year old nuetered male. I currently have a 1 year old neutered male and a 7 year old spayed female.

I would love some tips and ideas of what to look for, what to expect, and how to handle this introduction.

6. hermann muenster

7. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Hi Mary:
    I posted this on craigslist yesterday because I thought it was so good and would hit home to people always giving lame excuses for giving up their pets.
    Well, it got flagged today and removed.
    Guess the truth hurts!
    Sue

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

some people can't handle the truth

9. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

I absolutly agree. Nobody really understands that if you get a dog--it's for life. You don't have a kid, then decide you don't want them anymore, and give them away. You work with them. But some people just don't relize that a pet is TRUELY a big responsibility. We got my dog tipsy when i was about 6, so i didn't really take care of her, my parents did, but I got Cody just last year (12) and It's alot of work (especailly if you do it alone like i did) You're up at night because they cry....you have to potty train, crate train, obedience train, and stop-the-beggin train them. Which takes alot of work. They need ALOT of time dedicated to them. It's sad to see that some puppies grow up in an environment that didn't provide them with the care they really needed, thats why theres so many dogs out there that don't have homes because they're obnoxious, or too hyper and not well-behaved. My advice for the people who haven't ever had a dog, and plan to get one soon, is DO NOT adopt a dog unless you are COMPLETELY ready for that responsibility, and if you have the time.

.....wow, that was alot. It just bothers me that some people put their pets through that.

But all those things are true......that was a sad, but very true list.....

-Nicole