1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Spouses (tv show in US)

Discussion in 'General Topics & Support Issues' started by Laura05, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I am just wondering if anyone watched that and what they thought?

To refresh everyone... it is basicly a vegan mom trading places with a meateating mom....it was very interesting seeing the two different livestyles clash.

And if it isnt to personal....

Are you a meateater?

a vegetarian (sp)

or a vegan (eating only plants and wearing nothing that was made from any animal ect.)

I am a meateater I love meat!! I dont think I would ever beable to give it up.

2. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

I'm an omnivore (meat and veggies), and see no problem with eating meat in and of itself. However, I wish that the slaughter industry wasn't quite so cruel, and always try to buy free range when possible.

3. Bente

Bente New Member

I eat meat, but I also wish that the animals had better living conditions than what they have now...

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I saw that, I had to turn the channel, because I just could not watch seeing those 1000s of alligator carcasses, I thought that was horrible.

I do eat meat, but have cut back quite a bit and try to eat one or 2 dinners a week with no meat. my husband is finally getting used to it.

I wonder how it will turn out because being a vegan, that will be hard to do when you are living in the bayou, I wonder how she will cope.

5. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I agree that we all wish the animals were treated better... but at the same time with that many animals it would take an extensive amount of room to raise them normally. Think about how many people eat meat. That is a lot of chickens, cows and pigs ect.

I feel sorry for both moms. They both have thier own ideas and beliefs and I don't think they should have been forced into a completely different lifestyle. Although I guess the whole point of the show is to see how others live and to bring new experices to the new families.

As for the alligator heads... from what I understand those people did not actually kill those... the heads were from somewhere that harvests the meat off of them for use in resturants or something...so they are "kind of" recycling them... as gross as that sounds. :?

6. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I saw the show the first time it aired. So, it's a little foggy for me. But, I do remember them being very different. I'm sure it was a culture shock to both women (and the respective families).

I am a meat eater. But, I cannot let myself think about where the meat comes from. I have to fool myself into believing that it magically appears in that form and no one gets hurt. I can't imagine living without it...

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I don't eat much red meat prefer chicken....I wish I liked vegetables/fruit and the alternatives enough to give up red meat 100%. I just don't like it...it has nothing to do with humane aspects but I just don't like red meat.
    I've seen Wife Swap LOL my hubby said if I ever signed up he'd divorce me :eek:

8. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I watch both shows, and think they're hysterical. While I realize there's a lot of creative editing going on, I did notice the tendency for certain people involved to just not 'get it'.

The vegan Mom, nattering on and on to a bunch of backwater bayou folks about veganizm, and not getting it that they're rolling their eyes and thinking she's a kook. She seemed to be under the impression that they're giving what she presented some serious thought, and not understanding she's butting up against a way of life that's been handed down for generations, and they aren't about to give it up.

The Louisiana Mom, not getting it that all these vegan women aren't going to be gracious enough to accept an alligator head, no matter where it came from. Maybe it would have been better if she gave 'em all a VooDoo doll?

Then, she got caught on tape smacking the dog? Isn't that a little hypocritical? And she ate alligator meat...and isn't that a little hypocritical too?

I've also noticed that some of the families involved on these shows are extremelly ungracious, and I hope that's just creative editing. I'd hate to think that there are that many families who would treat a guest in their homes that poorly. Maybe it's the southern influence in my upbringing, but I was raised to make guest in my home feel welcome and comfortable, not like an intruder.

All in all, no one was forced to do these shows. They agreed to it. And the intent is definately to show a clash of cultures. There is a great diversity of lifestyles in this country, and I think it would be good if people would try to understand why different areas have different cultures and lifestyles. And maybe some of these moms will have an eye opening experience if they see themselves on TV and realize they made a total arse of themselves in front of millions of people.

By the way, I eat meat. In fact, I eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first. The simple way around the concerns you have about how animals are raised is to buy kosher meats. The animals have to be treated humanely and the meat will be much cleaner than other meats.

9. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I missed that episode cuz i have a summer class those nights now :(
    I have watched a few episodes of the Wife Swap tho and it was definitely interesting, tho i usually feel sad for at least one of families.

I am by no means a vegetarian, but my meat intake is pretty minimal. I rarely eat meat by itself and when i do have it i usually prefer to have it mixed into something like chili, stew or chicken quesadillas. My reasons have mostly to do with taste and health reasons....tho i'm aware of the cruel treatment of some food animals like pigs, chickens and lamb and wish there was more regulation about the conditions they are treated.

Meat is known to be a scary way to ingest all kinds of junk and hormones fed to the animals tho, which makes me lose my appetite since i think i'm a little more conscience about what i ingest than most ppl and try to eat mainly organic produce and whole foods. That being said, i have grandparents living in the mountains of northwestern Wyoming who hunt their own meat. And I have no problem when i'm visiting them with having elk, deer, or moose meat becuz i know where it comes from....and my grammy is an awesome cook! :mrgreen:

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

I got hooked on that show in Germany (where it is Frauen Tauschen) German people, not Americans, but still the same type thing.
    I got angered when the lady hit the dog so bad it yelped!!
    Most of the people seem pretty shallow on that show, but i hope it is just the way the camera shows them and not how they really are.
    Ithink the biggest difference show I saw, was a devout Christian upper class (she wore diamonds like everyday) and a lesbian couple. the rich lady really made me angry bc she was so against gay marriages/relationships. But that is my opinion, and I get pretty upset about that. The lesbian tried to argue with the other mom (who was black married to a white guy) 50 years ago before people were saying blacks and whites shouldn't marry and it is the same argument thye use now for gays to not marry. anyway. I still watch Trading Spouses and wife swap!