1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

tragedy strikes my 10g

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by gravity, Feb 15, 2005.

1. gravity

gravity New Member

Well, I got to work this morning and immediately checked my tank. ALL of my fish died! I don't understand what happened. I kept the same filter media, the same decorations, and about half of the same water. The heater works fine, the new water was treated and the temperature was the same as when I pulled them out. The only thing I could think of that I might have missed was that maybe I didn't rinse the new gravel enough and something was on it that killed my fish.

I'm going to try to put a positive spin on this, so I'm going to restock the tank after letting it (re)cycle for a week. I'm leaning towards trying shelldwellers, but I was wondering what else I might be able to try as far as cichlids in a 10g. Here's my short list of possibilities:

Shelldwellers
    Julidochromis
    Rams (?)

Any suggestions or other possibilities? A 10g is all my work will let me have....

2. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi Gravity,

What type of fish were in the tank?
    Do you have any water test results? (ph, nitrates, nitrates)

It's difficult to say for sure what happened, but some LFS gravel can be highly contaminated and does need to be washed thoroughly.

Vbrgds
    DB :)

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

thats not cool.....you didnt rinse the gravel with any type of cleaner, did you? your supposed to use only wate and nothnig els, so if you did use a soap or cleaner, that is probably the reason.

4. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

....just a thought, if you changed/washed your gravel, cleaned the filter and changed the water you would have lost alot of the good bacteria that build up and whcih the fish rely upon.
    With no bacteria in your tank to convert the harmful waste that builds up, the ammonia levels build up and can kill fish very quickly.

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what kind of fish were in there? you might have had a really needy fish and it could have been stressed like heck from the change.....some fish are hardier than others.......my cichlids never minded when i redecorated the whole tank, but when i had community fish they would freak out.

6. gravity

gravity New Member

I didn't test the water because I've never, in any of my tanks, had anything like this happen. Even if I had tested the water, I would've had to put the fish back in the tank because I had no way to transport the fish to my apartment. I timed the gravel change with a water change, so the roughly 50% change shouldn't have been too harsh. I guess maybe the combination of the water change and gravel change may have put too much stress on the fish.

I lost a midnight molly, 3 albino cories, 2 zebra danios, and 2 gold dust platies.

EDIT: I only used water to rinse the gravel.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I agree with DUCKLE-BUM. Changing the water and cleaning the filter media (or did you actually replace it?) likely made you loose a huge portion of your bacteria. The tank was pretty heavily stocked so the ammonia probably got really high fairly quickly.

-Chelle

8. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Im sooooooooo sorry!!!!!

Ya chances are you had an ammonia spike.

:(

TA TA!
    Petz