1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Training my parakeet......help

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by GogetasWR, Jun 27, 2004.

1. GogetasWR

GogetasWR New Member

I have 2 parakeets. one i had her about 3 months, and the other 1 week. How do you train them? Long ago, my 1st parakett, Tonu tried to escape. She kept lifting the door up and down.........She can stay on my finger, but every time i tried to take her out, she climbs back to the stick.How do you train your parakeet?

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

First of all, you should clip their wings so that they can't escape or fly away when your training them. Next, find a quiet and empty as possible room where you can train them to avoid distractions and providing the option for the bird to hide and escape. You should also only train one at a time. Now, you should start ny trying to talk to the bird gently, when he gets used to you try and put your hand in the cage. If they flutter or bite start all over again with the talking. When your bird feels comfortable with your hand in the cage try to gently stroke him while talking to him. Again, if he bites or flutters around start over again with the talking. Training takes a lot of time and patience. Next, whne he is comfortable with you touching him place your finger on his stomach and get him to go on your finger. When both of you are good with that then take him out of the cage while he is still on your finger. There are many ways to train your budgie and if you are struggling or you want more techniques feel free to post me! Thanks!

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi you will need to teach both at the same time as whatever you teach one will soon go out the window when returned to a cage with another untamed bird.

Do what unknown suggests never put your hand straight upto the birds as this can scare them hold your hand inside the cage slowly moving towards them its best doing this a few times a day and talking to them all the time your hand is in the cage.

Also if they have a favourite food then having some in your hand is the best way to tame birds mine sit in my hand and eat seeds.fruit and vegtables.

It does take time and alot of patience so please dont expect things to happen straight away it can take weeks even months for a bird to trust the human hand unless it was a hand tame bird when purchased but even then they can quickly become untame if they feel threatened or uneasy about something.

mike

4. GogetasWR

GogetasWR New Member

thanks i have another question. My male parakeet is still afraid of me....Everytime i walk near the cage, he goes to the corner of the cage, away from me......what should i do?

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi just keep talking to him and he will get used to you most birds will hide at away from there owners time and patience is what you need.

Also offering him food from your hand will help him trust you