1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Treating a fish tank for ich with salt

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nano, May 18, 2006.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

Thanks for everyone's input on my tank's problem with ich. I just have a couple of questions. First off, how often do you use this salt treatment in the tank, and for how long can this be done? Second, what types of fish are sensitive to the salt? I am going to give it a try. I have used the malachite green, to no avail. In fact, it has gotten worse! I have never had it this bad before. I am hoping the salt treatment will work. Thanks again.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You just need to do the full dose of salt once. Then, when you do a water change, you just add enough salt to cover the amount of new water you're adding. So if you have a 50 gallon tank, for example, and you do a 20% water change, that's 10 gallons of new water so you'd add 2 tbsp of salt (1 tbsp/5 gallons).

And you'll want to leave the salt in the tank for at lest 5 - 7 days after the last spot is gone. After that, you can slowly start letting the temperature drop and doing small water changes to remove the salt.

As for sensative fish, things like snails & other inverts, and scaleless fish like loaches & catfish are salt sensative.

-Chelle