1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with new parakeets...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by sunnyblue, Feb 7, 2006.

1. sunnyblue

sunnyblue New Member

My mother bought two parakeets about a month ago. One for her and one for my 5 year old daughter. The birds are both female as far as we can tell. They( both) have now been relocated to my house as my mother is getting a new baby bird, and my daughter wants her bird at home. We talk to the birds everyday. One will get on your finger when you say "up" and will let you take it out of the cage but unless you walk away from the cage it won't stay for long on your finger. The other one will hardly ever get on your finger despite atleast 2-3 weeks of constant attempts on training. They have 2 toys but never play with them. I strung up some almond nuts, but they have not even touched them, There is also a popcorn string and again they won't touch it either. They don't seem to be very happy and training is not going as good as I had hoped it would. What could be the problem? They tweat every once in a while but not a whole lot. I want the birds to be happy and well trained but am worried I am doing something wrong. Any help?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

It is very rare for budgies to eat nuts or popcorn.

I hang millet spray in there cages and they love it, So i use this for training aswell.

Do not worry to much about the bird that will not sit on your finger as some birds take longer to train than others, and some just never become trained.

Keep at it, If possible try to keep a routine, Eg below...

Birds first see you and hear your voice 7am
    Change food and water dishes 7:30 - 8am
    Constantly talk to them even if its just to change food dishes or while your doing your housework in that room.

Training starts at 9am for 15-20minutes

Things like that once they get into a routine they know what to expect. I usually sit at my birds cages after i have done my house work and dealt with the other animals and just sit and talk to them for about 10minutes.

Like i say keep at it you will win in the end.

Mike

3. sunnyblue

sunnyblue New Member

I am suprised to learn that they do not like nuts or popcorn. I read that they do on a web site regarding parakeets. Also is it possible to tell the age of a paakeet. We did not think to ask at the pet store. I am not sure they would have known anyways. Is it also possible that a parakeet may never become friendly?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Some do eat popcorn and nuts but most do not.

A young bird will have black barring over there head depending on the colour mutation.
    A bird 6months or older will not as these molt out from 4-6months of age.

A young male under 6months old will resemble a female when looking at the cere ( fleshy part above the beak ) which will usually be a pinkish purple colour.

A male bird over 6months will usually have a bright blue cere.
    A female over 6months will usually have either a pinkish purple, white, cream, tan or if in breeding condition dark brown crusty coloured cere.

Some birds may never become tame its just the way things are, But usually with a bit of patience and persistance they usually become tamed.

Keep at it, If the bird goes to bite do not pull your hand away just hold it still and then move towards it again.
    If you pull your hand away the bird soon learns this behaviour and will use it to its advantage.

Mike

5. sunnyblue

sunnyblue New Member

Thanks for all your help. I just have one more question. The birds seem to be arguing with each other. They will be tweeting back and forth and then all of a sudden one will start to scream at the other one. Is this noramal behavior. They don't peck at each other. In fact most of the time it seems like they are kissing. Is this possible a mating type of behavior?

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Yes this is normal behaviour and you will find even 2 females or 2 males will feed, and preen each other.

Usually the screeching is with a male female pair but without knowing what colour there cere's are i could not tell you if this is what you have.

Do not worry even if they do start pecking at each other aslong as no blood is drawn and no feathers pulled out allow them to sort out there little differences.

Mike