1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

True or false?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, Jul 24, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

I have heard of something where you let the water stand for 24 hours and you can use it in your aquariam without the use of chemicals? is this true or is it still bad?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It's mostly true. Chlorine will evaporate if the water has be left sitting for a while. The exact amount of time depends on the amount of water, surface area, and the amount of chlorine. But I think it should take roughly 24 hours or about 20 gallons of water. I think chloramine either doesn't evaporate or it takes a lot longer. I can't remember which.

-Chelle

3. OneWolvesDream

O, ok, yeqah because the stors have only one chemical that is a table spoon for 10 gal! and they only give you a small bottle for about $4 and i do a lot of water changes and all that. so it has come to be quite and expence. i think in the past month i have spent quite a lot on chemicals for all my tanks, doing a 85% water change in my fry tank chewed up the whole bottle. so it is quite a waist. so my friend told me about letting the water set idea. so about 24 hours? or should it be more?

4. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

It's quite true.. But I rather use chemicals.. better be safe than sorry..

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you have a Walmart in your area, see if they have Chlor Out. It's made by Wardly which is owned by Walmart. It removes chlorine & chloramine and a 4oz bottle treats 679 gallons.

-Chelle

6. OneWolvesDream

I think they could have that, i think the name of the one i had was a version of right start. thanks for all the help!

7. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I get chlorout by the boat load over here, our water is heavily treated with chlorIMINE which usaly doesnt evaporate unless its a very small amount so run a test on your tap to figure out what your gonna need. But t_chelle is right the small bottle of it is only like 1.99 USD.

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i cant help but laugh at the idea of someone short on aqua safe lining buckets of water up in rows so they dont have to use the chemicals!

9. OneWolvesDream

lol, at the rate i need water for my 29 gal i need a bathtub full of water lol. Im going to go buy clor out later on this week. thanks for all the help!