1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

trying to hatch baby chickens

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by ilovemycockatiels, May 8, 2005.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

Hi I got some chicken eggs from my friend and I'm going to try to hatch them I have 2 questions though, what is the gestation period? and What temp do they need to be at, 99? oh one more, how often do I turn them and do I need to spray them for moisture? Please answer asap.

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Boy, I'm reaching back a few years here, but I think I remember the basics.

Gestation is 21 days. The temperature you need to maintain depends on whether you have a forced air or still air incubator. In a forced air incubator you need to maintain a temperature of 100 degrees with as little temperature variation as possible. Still air incubators should be kept at 102 to compensate for temperature layering within the incubators.

Most incubators have a water pan to provide humidity, which should be around 85% if memory serves me. Never wash the eggs and don't allow the humidity to reach the point where the egg shell becomes damp.

Ventilation is very important. Fresh air needs to circulate through your incubator at all times.

Eggs need to be turned 4-6 times a day for the first 18 days. 3 days prior to hatching don't turn them at all, as the chicks are moving themselves into position for hatching. Be very gentle turning the eggs, especially in the first week. And never position the eggs small end down.

When turning the eggs, be sure your hands are very clean. Oils from your skin can cause problems for the developing embryos.

Once the chicks hatch, remove all egg shells, down, and debris. You can incubate the chicks in the same incubator you hatched them in if you don't have a second batch of eggs waiting for the space.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Boy, I'm reaching back a few years here, but I think I remember the basics.

Gestation is 21 days. The temperature you need to maintain depends on whether you have a forced air or still air incubator. In a forced air incubator you need to maintain a temperature of 100 degrees with as little temperature variation as possible. Still air incubators should be kept at 102 to compensate for temperature layering within the incubators.

Most incubators have a water pan to provide humidity, which should be around 85% if memory serves me. Never wash the eggs and don't allow the humidity to reach the point where the egg shell becomes damp.

Ventilation is very important. Fresh air needs to circulate through your incubator at all times.

Eggs need to be turned 4-6 times a day for the first 18 days. 3 days prior to hatching don't turn them at all, as the chicks are moving themselves into position for hatching. Be very gentle turning the eggs, especially in the first week. And never position the eggs small end down.

When turning the eggs, be sure your hands are very clean. Oils from your skin can cause problems for the developing embryos.

Once the chicks hatch, remove all egg shells, down, and debris. You can incubate the chicks in the same incubator you hatched them in if you don't have a second batch of eggs waiting for the space.

4. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

I don't actually have an incubator I am doing this in a ghetto type of way. :) I think they are okay I've turned them twice today and they seem warm, not hot, not cold. Before I put them in the box they are in, I put a thermometer in there and kept adjusting the light so it was about 99 degrees. I lightly drew an X on one side of each egg and an O on the other side, with a pencil. I found a website and it says 99.5 degrees so your about right. And the last 3 days no turning, good memory. I still haven't figured this one out though, Do you think it would be okay to put a shallow dish of water on the bottom of the box for humidity? Or is that not enough. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks