1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent help needed for Spindletop rescue in Houston!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by goob, Sep 22, 2005.

1. goob

goob New Member

I know some are you are in the same area and have enough worries with your own familes and pets, but hoping that somebody can help out these guys too. Good thoughts are with everyone in the path of this thing, best of luck!

Spindletop APBT/AST rescue in Houston, Texas ( http://www.spindletoppitbullrefuge.org/ ) is in urgent need or help in the form of crates, donations, and/or housing space for LOTS of dogs. They've been making runs ever since Katrina hit LA to collect dogs of ALL breeds and bring them to safety (and reunite them with their owners whenever possible), and now they have a hurricane headed their way and will need to evacuate the storm refugee dogs as well as those they had prior. Here are some excerpts from messages they have posted:

"I am going back tomorrow for my last trip for this week. I had tagged some dogs, already have fosters for them and I am also picking up "Buddy" to reunite with his owner (see Buddy's story below, he was found at a MS shelter). I will be back on Thursday evening to start evacuating Spindletop. I am short 55 crates because of the displaced owned dogs I have here from Katrina, so I am in need of crates ASAP. So if you know anyone that can even loan one crate, I need it immediately.
    f Rita reaches strong Cat 3 status, my kennels will be gone. So pray this thing stays on the mild side or just takes a left turn completely. I will not be on the computer after today as I am packing my things from my house as there will not be time once I get back from LA. If you need to reach me, my cell is 713-614-2410."

"We are looking for a place to put the Spindletop dogs. The warehouse Leah usually uses will not withstand the wind.

1. Please, does anyone know of a warehorse of about 2000 square feet (or more) that could be used to save the dogs. The dogs will be in crates.

2. Spindletop is in need of more crates.

As you know, they have a lot of Katrina dogs there, too.
    "

PLEASE, if you have any way of helping out, call and offer it. I know a lot of people are already tapped out on resources, but even a little can go a long way.

I'd guess that most of these dogs use size 300-400 varikennels, or similarly sized wire crates, but if you think you might have something, it never hurts to call just to be sure.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

goob, have them contact bestfriends.org. they might be able to help out or refer this group to who can, their website it taking requests for badly needed help and items, from others

and I was just on the Houston SPCA site and they have a hotline

Houston SPCA Animal Emergency Hotline at (713) 802-0555.

my heart goes out to all of the people who have helped the katrina victims now in need of help themsevles and the animals. I pray Rita turns away,

honeybear