1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

URGENT HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by alen20, May 10, 2004.

1. alen20

alen20 New Member

hi my poodle is 9 yrs old and yesterday i found out that she is having maggots in her mouth.so i took her to the vet.the same problem happened yrs ago to my other male poodle who died of maggots in his mouth ,though i used to take him to the vet but no use.so i m very confused all i need to know that is will she be alright? :(

2. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

This reply really isn't any help... but I just wanted to ask what the vet said about the maggots being in the mouth?? Are you sure that it's not a parasite infection like tape worms... I know that if THAT goes untreated that dogs will often puke them up.

Maggots in the mouth... I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Please post and tell us what the vet has to say!! PLEASE!

Jennifer

3. nern

nern New Member

Does she have a wound on her mouth where the flies are laying eggs? I would think as long as the vet treats her she should be fine. Are the maggots actually inside her mouth or on the outside?

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I have never heard of maggots in the mouth .Flies usually do not lay eggs in somethings mouth .possibly worms or either she had a sore on the outside somewhere and flies layed eggs in it and screwworms which is what maggots are called when they eat to the inside and she is ate up inside with them and they are coming out her mouth .That is sick ! should have taken care of a sore to keep a fly from laying eggs in it .She needs vet treatment NOW !
    You had one to die of maggots ? Why ? Did you not take them ot the vet ?

5. alen20

alen20 New Member

thanks for replying well let me mention that i live in pakistan and over here very very few people have dogs and vets over here are not that qualified .the maggots are are in the upper jaw and the teeths are broken as the worms or maggots are eating the upper part inside the mouth and blood is flowing from the nose.i dont know anything else as the vet said that are formed bcos mosquito lay their eggs in her mouth and they are formed into maggots white little worms.the vet took lil cotton n dipped it in some liquid and the placed it in her mouth.vet said that he will be doing this two more times as its a long procedure.the wound is in her mouth in the upper jaw like the area to which the teeth are attached is open and maggots are there in that cavity.the other dog who died was having the same problem we took him several times to the vet that hes feeling not well but the doctor never knew that it was maggots as he didnt bother that why blood was coming from his nose.then after 2 days my dog bobby got dull and so much blood was coming out from his nose and then he died.at that time we took the dog to the vet but they said that we are sorry now no need to come as he is about to die.i wish i was not living in pakistan.al i need to need as that will she be alright?

6. ilovemaltipoos

Well ,for one she needs her teeth pulled if they are rotten .I cannot say she will be okay .you need a good vet .I would find one if I had to go to another city .i would speak to a doctor .I have never heard of mosquitoes laying maggots though .I would seek a doctor 's advice if nothing else .I am sorry but I cannot say she will be fine .I do not know .

7. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

OMG! Please consult a different vet! I've heard of a type of bug/mosquito (maybe) that lays it's egg in the skin of animals. A friend had that happen once... and the vet lanced it like a boil and removed the yucky stuff and it did eventually heal.

But in the mouth? That's just not right. Please please please.. consult another vet!!

Oh.. and hon.. I can't tell that your little dog will be okay. I wish I could.. but this sounds so NOT right..

Jennifer

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Oh god this is making my stomache turn. I hope that these maggots have not gone into other part of the poor poodle. This is aweful. I have a poodle myself. I would think there should be some sort of worm shot or some meds that can be given. This dog needs to be put under anestia(sp) and have the wound thourghly cleaned. Give him a full dental. Antibiotics. I hope he survives, alen 21

9. ilovemaltipoos

Definately antibiotics are needed .there is a pill ,a flea pill ,the name is capstar .my vet says it will kill all fleas immediately (does not keep them off though ) but he says he uses it for screwworms too ,says it will kill them and flush them out .You may need to get some now .

10. alen20

alen20 New Member

yesterday i took my poodle to the vet twice and after a while i ll take her again.the maggots are taken out.shes feeling lil ok as blood is not coming from her nose.i m giving her half capsule once a day named as vibramycin .vet says its a gum problem.it will take som more days to heal the wound.i hope she will be fine as she seems lil active. :?

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hows she doing today? I hope better. Let us know.

12. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

OMG is right!! I can NOT EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEN imagine!!! :( That poor baby!!!!!!!!!! I pray that she is going to be okay...... eeek.
    Keep us posted..... but, make sure it's good news :)

13. alen20

alen20 New Member

hello
    we are daily taking her to the vet.as for the wound the maggots are finished and the cavity that was opened is closing day by day as for now its very small.she seems lil ok but she is sneezing alot as the vet said that she will sneeze coz the wound is now forming a scar so this will irritate her lil and after some days she will be fine :D pls keep on praying for my lil baby :) just waiting for the day when she will be perfectly alright

14. ilovemaltipoos

We will pray for you and your baby .Hopefully she will be better really soon and no more problems will ensue .

15. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I will definitely keep your pup in my thoughts and prayers...hope she gets better soon!!! :D

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Just keep up with what you are doing with the medical things. I don't know how this could happen.

17. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Wow I have never heard of this. I am glad to hear things are getting a little better. Please do keep us updates on her progress and I will be praying for the little one.

18. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

I will be Praying for your dog. glad to hear it is healing. It must be very hard to live where the vets are so unlearned. Glad this one knew what to do.

19. alen20

alen20 New Member

thanks guys for the support n lovely msgs all of u. :D i m daily taking her to the vet and giving her the medicine.she seems perfectly alright.these days its so hot in my country that humans are dying and imagine how can an animal survive.i thank GOD that shes ok.the main problem in my house is that there are so many big house flies.even the dog is cleaned but house flies disturb them.they are the main problem creators i cant even spray on them on that area as its harmful for my dog.my poodles stay wid us in the room but i have a cocker spanial who is at the back side and facing this problem. :( howe to finish them?

20. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I don't know if you've ever heard of this before but there are these fly trap bags. The flys are attracted to the bags ans they get trapped inside and die. Also electronic things that attract them and zap them dead. Being you have use of a computer search online for these types of things. I know the bags work. My neighbor had one in his back yard and it had them all stuck in there. Not a pretty site to see but it gets them without pestides being sprayed.