1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

URGENT NEED HELP RIGHT AWAY PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by indica, Apr 5, 2004.

1. indica

indica New Member

I HAVE A FOUR DAY OLD PUPPY THAT HASNT BIN EATING.
    IT TAKES SHORT BREATHS ABOUT EVERY FOUR OR FIVE SECONDS AND THE ONLY TIME IT SHOWS ANY SIGN OF LIFE IS WHEN IM RUBBING IT. IT WONT EAT. AND THE MOTHER WONT TAKE CARE OF IT SHE HAS 6 OTHERS ALREADY. WHAT DO I DO?

2. LabLady

LabLady New Member

Sorry, I know anything about newborns, but how scary. Only thing I remember, as a kid my mom fed a baby kitten warm milk from the corner of a plastic baggie. We never had dogs. Have you tried a vet yet?

3. Walt

Walt New Member

WHAT DOES YOUR VET SAY :?:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can give the puppy supplement milk replacer you will have to feed the puppy every 2-3 hours I have used just a regular baby bottle with a premie nipple you have to make the hole a little larger by just pricking it with a sterilized stick pen. I will enclose a recipe in which you can make at home. I also give about 2cc's of warmed pedialyte in a dropper every couple of hours.
    You also need to keep the puppy warm. A chilled puppy will not nurse and most likely will die you will need some source of heat rather it is a heating lamp or covered puppy heating pad because most likely if the puppy is sick the puppy is being pushed away from the others and is not staying warm.
    There are many reasons why newborn puppies die taking it to the vet of course is always a good option but most times a waste of time and money theres not much more they can do then you and sometimes they will die regardless of your efforts.
    Puppies often have what is known as fading puppy syndrome I am also posting a link on it which is very helpful.
    Good Luck to you.

http://www.wolfweb.com.au/acd/fadingpupsyn.html

10 oz. of canned evaporated milk or goats milk (not pasteurized cows milk - this will cause scowers - dogs cannot drink normal cows milk)

3 oz. sterilized water (baby water or boiled water) this is not needed if using goats milk

1 raw egg yolk

1 tablespoons regular mayonnaise (optional)

1 cup of whole yogurt (avoid skim or fat free)
    Place ingredients in a blender and blend or use a wire whisk. Keep cool and discard leftovers after 7 days.

Warm formula to body temperature (dogs are 101 degrees). Discard any un-used

5. indica

indica New Member

update on puppy

Im sorry to say this but the puppy died right after i finished posting that message.
    I did some mouth to mouth on it and it started breathing again but it only lasted a few minutes longer so i just let it go.
    thankyou for your help on the situation. it didnt go to waste now ill know what to do for the next time.
    indica

6. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Im so sorry for your loss I know how it feels to lose a newborn puppy. My boyfriends mother had a litter of Shelties a few months back and 2 days later mom got hit by a car and died.

Well we had to hand feed the 6pups, all very gorgeous, but they were so young they each ended up dying one by one.

I watched over these puppies constantly and i was deeply saddened when they passed away.

I know with my dog Nana her mom (owned by my boyfriends mom) had a litter of 8 puppies and lost 3 of them. At 3weeks of age she lost 2 more and when they were 4 weeks old she lost interest in them. Luckily Nana and 2 other sisters survived and are all doing great.

Once again, Im sorry for your loss but at least you still have the other puppies to help you deal with the loss of that one pup. I hooe the others turn out fine.

Good Luck

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Such a sad thing to happen. So sorry. The mother usually will shun the sick ones and let them die.
    Lanena322, Such a tradgedy, were you successful in rearing the pups?

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am so sorry to hear about losing the little guy.
    There is a number of reasons that could have caused him to stop feeding,
    Fading puppy syndrome.
    Cleft palate check all puppies by placing your little finger inside there mouths and rub the roof of there mouth to make sure it is solid.
    Bacterial infection.

I am glad all other puppies and mum are doing well and agian i am so sorry to hear about the little one its always hard losing them.

mike

9. klf

klf New Member

sorrry to hear about your puppy! :( how are the others doing? are they gaining weight ?

bet they are very cute!!! :p

my parents bred giant schn. a few days after our maddie had her babies my grandfather died. maddie was very intune to my mothers feelings and stopped producing milk. we had to bottle feed all 9 puppies. My parents flew to mn. and i stayed at their house to feed them,, my daughter was only 3 at the time and didn't understand what was going on and only wanted to play with them. We lost one puppy to pne. it is something i never want to do again!