1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Using natural driftwood for freshwater

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Mar 19, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Are you able to find a good peice of driftwood and use it in a freshwater tank even though it came out of the ocean??
    I think I have heard about soaking it in bleech or something but does that make it alright?
    Thanks!

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you have to boil it i belive

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, i wouldnt risk bleaching it.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

Sorry to ask a question that was obviously asked many times before... when i first posted it I didnt notice other posts...
    I am not going to use it.. will just buy one to be safe..
    thanks guys!

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi drab911, Bleaching works well for items that aren't very porous, like rock or when cleaning an older aquarium. The problem with bleaching something like driftwood is that it can soak into the inner layers. Then after you have rinsed it well and think that you have all of the bleach out, you put it in your tank and after the wood has become saturated with the tank water the bleach starts to leach out of the driftwood into the tank.

Also, I NEVER recommend using soap to clean an aquarium. Soap leaves a film where you can end up with the same situation as bleaching driftwood. To clean out an old aquarium use non-scented chlorine bleach. After I have cleaned it out with bleach then I fill it and put in a small bottle of the cheap chlorine remover and let it sit for at least 24 hours. After it has set I check to see if I can smell any chlorine. If not I drain it back down and fill it with fresh water.