1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Using wooden dowels in aviary

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Apr 2, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone.. So I have been considering using wooden dowels instead of the mesh netting... figured it would look quite a bit better.. Do you think there is a problem with them chewing through the bars?? I am only going to have budgies in there... im not affraid of replacing one once in a while.. and they dont chew through their perches right now so i wouldnt think there would be a prob

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I would go with the mesh.

Wood may look nicer but after a while with the chewing they'll eventually have to be replaced (more than once), so in the long run mesh would be more economical. They may not be chewing on their perches but they use the bars to move around the cage and with all the movement you're bound to get some chewing action.

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

but are they going to be able to climb on the mesh? And I have read somewhere that the metal mesh has zinc or something in it.. do you have any suggestions on what kinda store to buy the mesh from? I Imagine the stuff at home depot woudlnt be suitable...

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

I have been thinking.. and what would you think about if I could find some skinny metal dowels.. kinda like what birdcages are made of but this way I can do my own pattern? I dont see any problem with it do you>>
    I am just not too excited about using the mesh.. dont think it will be visual appealing enough for me