1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

vacuming substate in planted tanks

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Apr 22, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

I realize when you have an unplated tank it is very important to vacume your gravel when you do your water changes.. but when you have a heavily planted tank.. not only does it seem impossible to do this is it also nessicary?
    I would imagine that all of the waste would kinda just dissolve into plant food.. or should you try and vacume around all of the roots of the plants?? im talking about plants on the entire surface of the substrate.. thanks

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

is it just purely a plant tank, with no fish? if so, i dont think you would have to vaccuum. the vaccuum mainly picks up fish excretement and waste food.

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

no I have fish.. its a 16 gallon and i have 2 otocats, 2 zebra danios, 1 gourami and 2 african dwarf frogs.. im planning to get 2 more neons and that will be it..
    so do I need to vacume the gravel>? and if so how do you do it without sucking up all the plants>?

4. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You have to really be carefull not to get too close. Roots can be damaged and it's a safe bet the plants will use the waste all around them. You can get the siphon to run at a slower rate by pinching on the tube. This may give you more control on the power and water flow coming from the siphon.