1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Very Important help me please!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I just put a plant in my aquarium and I bought a new molly. The moly seems very very skittish and for the whole time swims up and down in the exact same spot for hours, but anyways, I had put the plant in the corner of my tank beside a clay pot, but for some reason my dwarf gourami went there and is very viciously attacking any fish that goes near the plant. Now my poor molly being the new fish keeps going to the plant for shelter because i think it is scared, but anyways the dwarf gourami like vicously attacks it around the entire tank and the molly can't understand that. Why is the gourami so vicious all of a sudden. Not even my convicts are that vicious. The thing is that he lets the neon tetras around the plant but not the guppies, platies and the molly, and the those three are the ones that keep hiding behind the plant cause they like the shelter but the gourami is just soo brutal. What should I do? The gourami is beautiful and make my tank look very nice but if he is going to be that mean, I dunno if I want him with my other fish, I want my tank to be a very peaceful community tank.

K now I am realizing that he only targets the silver molly and leaves the guppies, platies and neons alone. He purposely goes around the tank looke for the poor molly to go and torment it. I honestly think it is going to kill the molly.

2. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Gouramis are naturally aggressive and they have their reasons for only picking on praticular fish. My blue gourami is aggressive against only the betta, but the funny thing is the betta makes a clown out of my gourami, she is the smartest fish i have ever seen! She makes figure eights around the heater suction cups (only an area she can fit through) and the gourami always follows onto the side shes on, but by the time he gets there, the betta has moved to the other side..... gouramis are stupid but they do learn.

After days of getting tricked by the betta to slam into walls and all that, cuz when hes chasing her, she stops right in front of a glass wall, and moves out of the way at the last second so he runs full force into a wall.

Any way enough about my gourami, back to ur problem, i think if all he does is chase the molly, not actually hurt it, u will be fine, because my gourami got used to it and stopped chasing the betta, urs should do the same, but if he does bite the mollu and so, i would remove one of them.

(what size is the tank?)

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

He nips the molly pretty bad sometimes and when the molly starts to run away he chases it for a good while.

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Now my molly is being very agressive to my very peaceul and humble sunset platies, when ever they swim by the molly gives them a bad nip on the mouth or face area. What do you do now. The moly is soo beautiful though, I really don't want to give any of my fish up!

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Just move the molly into a diffrent tank. If its doing bad in ur tank, hurting other fish and getting hurt, then its not a realy good life for it and its basicly torture to it and other fish. Put it in a diffrent tank or give it a bettter home.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

First of all, thanks for your comments. Also, you were right about the gourami, he just forgot and got tired of chasing around the molly and is back his good old self, but I am going to exchange my molly tomorrow at the lfs.

So, thanks for your help.

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

No problem, hope ur new molly works out. Good luck

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Gourami now leaves molly, but molly still harasses the other fish, I am going to return the molly tomorrow.