1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

very weird behavior...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Meli, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Meli

Meli New Member

Hi everybody.

We have bought a new 6-week-old parakeet as a buddy for our 2-year-old parakeet girl that we adopted recently.
    He seems to be doing okay, eating, drinking, pooping, preening - but there is one thing I just can't figure out: Whenever we put "Cloudy"s" (the baby 'keet) cage next to "Daisy's" (the 2-year-old), the little one starts holding on to the side grating of his cage and then doing flips! He usually keeps holding on but ending up with his back against the grating (his feet are still in the "belly-to-the grating"-position, sorry, hard to explain). Is that just some weird attention-catching tick - or is it something I have to be concerned about. I will take him to the vet before putting the two of them in one cage - but I thought I'd give him at least 2 weeks at home before I scare him again by taking him to the vet....

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi this is nothing to worry about he is displaying interest in the female.
    Once they have been seperated for about 1-2weeks so u know he is healthy and bug free you may if you wish place him in with your female but if fighting breaks out then he will have to be removed.

The risks of putting a male in with the female is mating she wont allow this until her cere the skin part above the beak is dark brown.
    He is also not capable of fertilising eggs at 6weeks old but come 5-6months old he sure can then.

Aslong as he is eating drinking and generally happy and healthy he is fine.
    Good luck and congratulations on the new addition.

mike

3. Meli

Meli New Member

..very weird behavior!

Thanks Mike!!!

Whew, that's a relief! I was already suspecting something like that, but wasn't really sure (and it looks sooo darn funny, have to make a pic and post it here at some point).
    Our girl is still quite unimpressed by the little fellow, but I can already tell they are "synchronizing", eating, preening and sleeping at the same time. And: They stay on the closest perches to each other.
    Little "Cloudy" already lets us scratch his head and tummy and he even came on my daughter's finger! She is totally thrilled....! And to think he is only here for the third day today!
    For anybody who wants to tame their 'keet, a little hint: It is easier when they settle down in the evening, they are usually more calm and relaxed. We tried in the morning - with little success. But both our little ones like to play in the evening.

Thanks again, Mike, also for the "breeding issue" tips!javascript:emoticon(':y_the_best:')