1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Vet Dilemma - to go or not to go?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by lilest Budgie, Apr 22, 2005.

1. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

Hi, my budgie Angel and I and my family have never been to a vet before. When I was looking at Angel lately, I seen that one of her claws, (back one) was broken off, and at the end was a darkened blackish/redish spot (blood i guess). Her nails are long, but not curling around or anything abnormal, but should I get them trimmed? Another thing is she has a bald spot on top of her head. It has pin feathers but it seems to be taking awhile for them to grow back..
    I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet, I love her dearly but I'm not sure, even if she was sick (in the case of the balding), what the vet could do! She can't get a needle and how could she take pills? Anyway, my moms allergic to every animal (except budgies :D ), and we don't know how the vet thing works. How much is it? So do you htink I should go through the trouble of bringing her cage in the car, and if so how would I? Do I put a blanket around it? (its a bit chilly) Please help soon, sorry for the long message but my mom doesn't want to set me up for dissapointment and sadness if shes sick..
    Should I go or can I treat this myself? Please answer soon, and thanks in advance...

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Your bird is going through a molt and this process can be slow, If your bird was losing feathers due to an illness these would not grow back and since there is pin feathers all is well.

You can clip there claws yourself no need for a vet visit aslong as you only snip the ends off it will be fine.

If there is a bleed put some flour on the claw thats bleeding and this will stem the blood flow.

Unless you see any other signs that suggest that she is ill i would not put her through the stress of a vet visit.

Mike