1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

waiting a little while longer

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kathy5, Feb 6, 2005.

1. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

well it looks like I might be waiting a few more months longer befor I get another budgie because until 'm certan of rainbow sex I don't want to get the wrong sex I need even # has anyone seen a bird like my rainbow with a brown colored cere???
    kathy

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya kathy no matter the colouring of a budgie only a female budgie will have or get a brown coloured cere so you can be sure rainbow is definately female.

Do you have a close up picture of her so i can see her cere properly and i will be able to confirm what i just said also how old is she.

Mike

3. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

4. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

opps for got to add that I got it in july of last year so I think it puts him?? up to about 7 months of age

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Its confusing as he/she has the colouring of the cere of a very young bird under 6months of age. How long ago was the last molt.

But i will stand by saying to me he loks like a she.]
    There is another way you can tell if you hold one of your male birds upside down and gently feel near the vent you will notice the bones are close together, In the female there would be a gap to allow the passage of eggs.

Also if given a nest box if female this will bring her into breeding mode and her cere will turn dark brown do not worry once it starts to turn brown you can remove the nest and she will not lay any eggs providing the nest is removed before it goes very dark brown.

Also an avian vet can do a DNA test to sex the bird i have provide a link about dna testing and what it entails it also has a contact page so that you can email them direct with any questions you may have.
    Sorry i could not be of more help.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm

Mike

6. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

thanks I'm going to give it a few more months & see what happens

7. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

o.k. I just fely my females vent area & my willows vent area
    there is not that much of a space difference that I could feel but if I had to guess I would say male for rainbow

I have ask some breeder friends of mine will see what they think