1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Wash off decorations?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by needlefish, May 18, 2004.

1. needlefish

needlefish New Member

Hi,

for my 10 gallon tank i have fake plants that attact algae to the leaf parts and a 6 in log and 4 in cave. The log is covered in algae and i have a small pleco but they don't eat all the algae. Should i take the plants and dectorations out and wash them off?

Yeah, I know a stupid question!

Dillon

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It wouldn't hurt, just don't use any type of detergent.

Is it green algae or brown algae (diatoms)?

-Chelle

3. needlefish

needlefish New Member

it is a blue green color

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

try a few snails but DONT let them over populate

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Try to avoid overfeeding and don't leave your tank light on as long.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

The one problem with algea when it gets to a certain point if you turn your light off it actually reverses the photosynthesis process and removes air from the water.

7. Candace

Candace New Member

in my experience, plecos never control all of your algae, and are not filtration or cleaning devices. all the plecos and algae eating fish I own i give assorted blanched vegetables to to supplement their diet. I beleive that all fish should have a varied diet, not just flakes and algae. No pleco should really be kept alive on just algae, no matter what amount. but before anyone adds vegetables to a tank it should be well cycled and shouldnt stay in there for more than a few hours.