1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend Incident

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by MaxKellyAST, Oct 26, 2004.

1. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

OK, To my possition on leaving children with dogs there are obviously certain caveats to that.

Some neighbor kid came over this weekend in my yard and wanted to play with the puppies as they have done since the pups were 5 weeks old.
    They are now 12 weeks and have become very tenacious when started up with the rough housing and all. This boy is getting them going, taunting them to bite his pants and all that, then he sits on the ground and they swarm him. One bites his finger and another bites his ear. I help him get controll of the pups and warn him of his behavior with them. I tell him if he wants to play he needs to use one of the million toys and he shouldnt set on the ground. He ignors this and goes running around screaming having a blast and so are they. He then sits down again and I look up just as he screams. One of my tenacious little girls has a hold of his ear as he stands up she is still holding on about four feet in the air, it looks like hes wearing a puppy earing! Instead of grabbing her to prevent any damage he slings his head and she tears off of his ear, flying about 6 feet and taking a little souvnier with her. His ear was cut pretty darn good. I felt so bad, but I was also laughing on the inside. :roll: His parents and I worked it out and they appologized to me . He didnt need any stiches or medical attention other than first aid, but we will both have a different policy in the future.

2. juice1348

juice1348 New Member

im sorry, i couldnt help but laugh.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

LOL... Me too... I HAVE To say that it's a prime example of not leavin kids alone with dogs...any age, any breed...etc.... Kids could hurt the dog too... Poodle puppy got a broken leg that way not too long ago around here... Soo...caution is best...

4. someday

someday New Member

Oh my, I'm so glad it turned out ok for you. I know it's hard to determine how far to let things go. I'm having similar problems with a neighbor boy. He came up to us one day while we were playing with Annie in the back yard and of course wanted to pet her, and throw her toy. So I was pleased, Annie was having a blast with him and he didn't mind her excited hopping around. So, he went to go get his little sister to show her the "the cool dog." Well, he brings his poor little sister back with him who is terrified of dogs. So the boy has Annie following him and he goes up to his sister with Annie bouncing along and the girl runs and screams! So of course Annie runs behind her thinking it's a great game. So, luckily I'm fast and get the girl to stop running and get Annie in a sit and explain that you should never run from a dog, etc etc..Well what does she do as soon as Annie is calm, RUNS back home. Luckily the dog was quite under my control at that time and I thought it was time to bring her in the house because she was getting too excited and not listening. So, I'm cooking dinner and Annie's going crazy by the glass sliding door and Adam looks out and see the boy is out there teasing Annie with the toy. So he steps out and has a word with him about teasing the dog. This was all a couple weeks ago. Well, yesterday, Annie was barking and barking at the door..not something she does very often. So I look out, and the little kid is way across the yard by the pond. People are out there all the time...it's an apartment complex..so she never reacts normally. So we're thinking he's been teasing Annie while we're not home...I know he's not being malicous, he just wants to play with the dog and get a reaction out of her...but really! There should be classes for children about how to behave around dogs..or i guess they should just listen when someone tells them something.
    Your story is kinda funny though...hehe...since the outcome was good. I bet that kid listens next time you tell him something.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

They should teach classes on how to behave in the presence of a NUMBER of animals... Bears, dogs, cats, etc... Why don't they do that???

We had a girl and her daughter staying with us back when we only had the two pit bulls. Well the daughter was just like 5 or 6 or so and her mom NEVER watched what was going on with dogs and kid...one day I was in the living room...dogs put up in bedroom kid in bedroom watching TV and I hear this barking... It's HJ on teh bed, kid on the floor staring at dog with toy... TEASING and HJ is just barking away...not the "I'm having fun" type bark...more like the "give me the toy now" type bark... She does that to us but never gets toy but is notorious (even now) for jumping up and PAWING relentlessly...so I could just picture this kids eyes getting clawed out... Well we managed to have a talking to to the kid and mom understood and all was well...luckily we didn't have them there much longer... Seriously though...it's really tough to decide when to step in and when not too... With the Boerboels we only have selected people (not neighbors) come visit them... They're guard dogs and if we're home they're fine but if not...they're not good...so we don't let them meet people who MAY venture into our yard to play with them if we're not home... All kinds of things to look at when kids and dogs are concerned... It's a tough call most of the time... I'm glad all these incidents have turned out well!!!

6. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I'm glad everything worked out okay, but I don't think the parents should have apologized. Sometimes people expect too much out of children. They are, after all, just kids. A watchful eye might have prevented him from getting hurt. But, like I said, all turned out okay; you learned a lesson; I'm sure the kid learned a lesson, so there is definitely a silver lining to this cloud.

7. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I couldn't help but get a visual and chuckle a little. I'm glad everything worked out and the little boy is ok! I'm sure this is a lesson he will remember for a long time ...

8. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

It is hard to know when to step in. You want the children to learn about dogs and vise vera themselves sometimes, let them get their own boundries.

This boy was twelve and just acting in an obnoxious way. I know what you mean spenc about expecting too much from children, I find though most people expect too little.
    I appologize for the behavior of my son and animals when its less than desierable. It would seem at the least, courteous.

Some things we can only learn through our defiance.

9. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

In light of learning that the boy was 12, I recant some of my earlier statements. Yes, the parents should have apologized (as they did) because he should have known better at his age. I'm only 22 myself, and I still remember what I was like at 12, and I certainly knew how to respect dogs (and their owners' wishes). Sometimes kids can be real brats. Hopefully he really did learn a lesson from it.

10. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

A 12 year old! Yeah, he had plenty of sence to listen to your instructions.
    I personally wouldn't allow him to play with them any more if he's not going to obey your wishes.

Sad thing is. There's 12 year old parents..... I was reading the news, and a 13 year old girl was impregnated by a 12 year old boy. Now the family is divided in two. One half wants and abortion, the other doesnt......
    So anyone to say a 12 year old "doesn't know any better" better re-think that.