1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Limit

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Does anybody how much weight the bottom of a 120 gallon tank can hold? I finished adding the new decorations for my 120 (all natural) and it seems alot of weight. No bends in the glass yet tho. But the bottom of the tank is at least 3 inch rocks and a 3 medium rock cave and a 4 foot "log" with 2 large rock holding it down. The aquarium is All-Glass too...

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

How is it supported? Like just at the ends and there is not support in the senture of the glass?

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

There is a black strip going across the middle front to back not side to side and it is on a flat surface strong homemade stand.

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

With just 3 inches of rock you should be OK. The most important thing is to keep the weight distributed evenly over the bottom of the tank. If you pile up rocks on one end and there is nothing on the other end you will get a pressure crack from the uneven weight distribution.

5. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Lets see what you people think...
    I have heard that for any rock that you put in, an equal amount of water is displaced from the aquarium. So even my tank with big volcanic rock should weigh about the same because a lot less water can fit in the aquarium.
    Feel free to disagree, it's just a theory!
    Let me know.

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

ok, then would this be even.....i have 2 peices of coral the same weight in the middle but a bit apart and one big one in the middle, then i have 2 pots and one smll cave. im guessin not cause of the cave, though i really dont know, then also i might move it downstairs with the hurricane coming and all and should i take out all the coral first?

7. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Yes,
    anytime you are going to move a tank you should take out the water, gravel and heavy rocks inside. The tank could crack very easily with that much weight inside.

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Sorry Hooben I have to disagree. You can have a piece of holy rock the same size as a piece of lava rock but the holy rock will weigh more but only displace the same amount (weight) of water. By the same theory you could replace the rock with driftwood the same size, which some can be extremely light, and decrease the weight by volume in the tank.

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

:? wow, this gets confusing. lol. Ok, well sat or sun i have to move my 29 gal and other small ones downstairs, how could i move it without cracking it??

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Yea,
    Like I said KC5gvn, I had only heard about this theory. You have shed the light with the wholy rock thing...thanks.
    Hooben

11. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Hooben, I've heard that theory before, it just keeps popping up. I'm thinking about setting something up with a 10 gallon just for the novelty of it. There used to be a place called Hawaii Kai in this area. At the entrance they had a large pond with floating rocks in it. The rocks were real, they just had such a high concentration of salt in the water that it made the rocks float. I may try that with a 10 gallon.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You could always cheat and use pumice and freshwater. :wink:

I bought 3 large peices of pumice to carve caves into and put in my african tank. 2 sank pretty easily because they where at the top of the pile and got rained on a lot at the landscaping place, but the 3rd was in the middle of the pile so I'm still haven't gotten it to sink yet and it's too big for me to boil. :x

-Chelle