1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

weight loss in an older dog questions

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DMikeM, Jul 9, 2006.

1. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Pepsi, my older Staffordshire has started to lose weight, but she is still eating regular. I know some dogs drop weight as they get older but she does not have an ounce of fat one her anywhere. She is about 13 or 14 years old now. Has great vision but reduced hearing and gets tremors in her hind legs when she stands to long. Is it vet time?
    She is still pretty active and likes chasing the ball and cruising the back yard with the boys, and even puts up a good front when other dogs get near her fence.

Recent pic. like 3 days ago.
    [​IMG]

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi Mike,
    The general 'rule of thumb' is that a dog should have an exam and full blood panel done once a year once they hit middle age (between 6 and 8 years old depending on breed)....I would have the vet check her out to be on the safe side....sometimes there can be an underlying problem...for example kidneys, kidney problems can cause weight loss but in many cases if you catch it early then a specific diet can really make a difference.....not saying its her kidneys making her lose weight or anything, its just an example.

Could be just like you said, the natural aging process, body chemistries changing etc.

3. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

I think DeLaUK is on the right track for you. There may be underlying problems causing the weight loss.
    Pepsi is a fine looking guy for his age! - but a trip to the vet might be a good idea.

4. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Yep sounds like the right course to take.
    She has had a rough life for sure.
    She was still born, and I worked for a good 3 or 4 minutes on her before she responded after her mom pushed her away.
    A year later she got parvo, and while she was in recovery she got canine corona virus and was called dead, but she started back up again on her own. The vet had actually called me and told me she passed away then called me back 10 minutes later and told me she was doing well.
    Then at 10 she had a 5 pound tumor in her uterus that almost killed her.
    She is my dead dog walking, tough as nails and sweet as honey.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

yup full vet exam time....the works
    I knew Sadie was feeding a tumor and not herself...I had known for sometime but with her frail health I didn't want to put her through more so I took it one days at a time.
    She started out at 85 lbs. and within a year was down to 60 and eating like a horse.
    Sadie had complete blood panels done 2x/year due to her liver disease and thyroid issues but the tumor wasn't detected.
    So off with ye and your dog to the vet....money well spent to get more time with your old lady.

6. Nik

Nik New Member

She sure sounds like a fighter!
    And she looks beautiful, there's still alot of life in those eyes.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I also would get her to the vet for bloodwork, sounds like maybe something like kidneys, as they get thatage they dont process like they should, as mentioned before could be she just needs a change of diet. wow what an amazaing life she has had