1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What color would they make?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Jan 11, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hi everyone, me AGAIN :mrgreen:
    Now I am wondering about color (if the eggs are fertile!)
    For my budgies, the male is a bright blue, kind of a tourquoise color with a bright yellow head, and the female is a muted green with the light yellow head. She's got a tint of blue almost under her wings, kind of on her back and under her tail. When I got her I thought she could be part rainbow color somewhere in her bloodlines, but maybe not...I'm not real sure. So any ideas what color the babies would be?
    My finches are basic colors, the male is a normal gray and the female is a fawn, maybe she'd be classified as a pied fawn. Would they come out a couple of each? That's my guess, but it's only a guess! 8)
    My other pair of budgies is the same basically, but the male is muted and the female is bright. She's bright green with a yellow head and the male is very very light, kind of grayish/blue and a very soft yellow on the head, and you have to look real close to see that it's yellow...any ideas what color their babies would be? My other nest box broke so I had to take it out, but I have to get it back in there, because the cere on my other female is very brown!!! Thanks everyone
    -zarate

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi the chicks of the budgies could be any range of colours it depends on what there parents where split with..The dominant of the colours usually deicts the colour of the chicks.
    50% of chicks will get there fathers genes and his colours from his bloodline and the same goes for the other 50% the females colours and bloodline colours.

Colours you may come out with are yellow pieds, Green pieds, blue, lutino, tri coloured.

Same goes with the finch's my pair are normal grey male and fawn female at the moment there baby is 22days old and has just started leaving the nest.
    Until they are 6weeks old they will retain a washed out grey fawn coloured feathers, black beak and legs so its hard to tell which colour these chicks will be until there adult feathers start coming through...
    Again its down to DNA and the dominant colours.

I had 2 green pied budgies male and female and i got blue pied, yellow pied and green chicks..

So chances are which ever colours the chicks get they will be lovely coloured as i have yet to see an awful coloured budgie..

Mike

3. zarate

zarate New Member

Thanks for all your help!

Mike, that's cool you have a gray male and fawn female with a baby, just like my pair. I can't wait to see the variety I could get. I don't care what color any of the babies will be because I know I'll like thme no matter what. My female has a white ring around each of her eyes, as all my other budgies have all black. I've heard this means either recessive or dominant....I don't know much at all about this stuff. I just love my budgies :mrgreen:
    Talk to you all later.
    -Mandi