1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What do I need to do before I put in driftwood?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by JxKIM89, Jun 27, 2004.

1. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

I heard when you get driftwood you need to boil it. How long do I need to boil it to make it safe for my aquarium? Do I need to do anything else other than boil it?

2. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

did you buy it or pick it up some were?
    regardless i would boil it for at least 10 mins to kill any bacteria in the wood.
    it may turn your water brown, i had one that did for awhile, but after about a week the water was fime.
    i stick with artificial wood, its easier to clean.
    but also plecos love to suck the slime off driftwood

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i read something that you have to put it in cold water for a exteded period of time or you can put it in hot water for a short time. somthing like that

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Set it in a bucket of chilled water for about a week then boil it for 6 - 8 hours, if you dont mind you water beaing a bit brown then you can boil it for less.

5. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

will this cause ur aquarium water to turn brown or the water ur boiling it????????? also if it causes ur aquarium to go brown will that harm the fishes in anyway??????

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

no, it wont ahrm the fish and if you boil it down and let it sit for a few days, it usually gets all the tannings (the brown color) out of the wood so your tank wont turn brown.