1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What fish in a 2 gallon bowl. Please help.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Used, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Used

Used New Member

I just bought a 2 gallon bowl. My question is what fish can I put in the bowl. I was thinking 4-6 ghost shrimp and some live java fern. Can I maybe put a betta in there to. Any suggestion would really help thanks. :eek:

2. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

I'm not sure if this applies to all fish but I've heard that fish can get really stressed in bowls because the vibrations from the movements from the fish are reflected back onto the fish by the bent glass. This causes permenant stress & the fishes resistance to desease weakens. But again this may only apply to some fish. Im not really sure.

3. Used

Used New Member

I haven't heard of that before but what fish do you think I can have in a 2 gallon tank of any shape.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

a betta would work and same with ghostshrimp.....im not sure however if a plant would work in there or not.

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i would put the betta i think the live plant would be fine just make sure it gets light

6. Used

Used New Member

I returned the bowl and got a 2 gallon tank set up with a ugf hood/light and heater. Does this change my stocking ideas. Another idea is 1-2 platys and a fiddler crab or 1-2 fancy guppies and a fiddler crab or maybe 1 honey or dwarf gourami and a fiddler crab. Would this work. Any suggestions. :eek:

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

the carb might eat the platy's and guppy's and might attck the gourmai

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

the crab might eat the platy's and guppy's and might attck the gourmai

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

fiddler crabs are nocturnal, so they will be on the hunt when the fish are calmed down and "sleeping" so that wouldnt be a good idea

10. Used

Used New Member

could I just have the 2 platys and a snail or a honey or dwarf gourami. :D

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

12. tski22

tski22 New Member

the platies and a gourami might be ok but dont quote me 100 percent. The gourami might need a tank that is 10 gallon minimun. -tl

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Even a filtered 2 gallon is extremely limiting.

You could go with 1 maybe 2 guppies, 1 betta, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 platy, one sword tail, 1 african dwarf frog, 1 apple snail maybe 2, or some ghost shrimp (btw, that's one of those choices, not all of them). You might be able to fit a dwarf puffer in a 2 gallon, but I'm not entirely sure.

That's pretty much it.

-Chelle

14. Used

Used New Member

How many ghost shrimp. I am planning to have live plants that would help right.?

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never actually kept ghost shrimp before so I'm going to just guess at 3 or 4. Live plants will help a little, but not a whole lot in that small of a tank.

-Chelle

16. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

are you tlaking aobut just ghost shrimp and nothing else in the tank? im thinking maybe 5 or 6.....i have kept them before, they are pretty cool to watch, especially when eating....you can see the stomach working (the green organ that moves like an ocean wave)

17. Used

Used New Member

Yeah just 5-6 Ghost shrimp and maybe a mystery snail and some live plants would this work. :y_the_best:

18. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

do you have the dimensions on the tank?

19. asiankatie

asiankatie New Member

FIRST OFF.. to OP.. a few african dwarf frogs are fun they chase eachother around, but you gotta be careful with them for feeding and make sure they get the food and that the other fish arent eating their food.. :\....

TO CHELLE- hey i've been reading a lot and i have a 5g hex tank that im setting up at the moment. right now i have a very small 1g betta tank that came all with the stuff in it. and i added a thermometer so i can make sure theyre not cold. i have a male betta and an african dwarf frog then get a long pretty well except one time i caught the frog riding the betta but other than that one time theyre fine.

anyways i was thinking about added a little dwarf puffer once i transfer everything to the 5g. its an eclipse hex-5 i have live plants for it and im gonna put some neat stuff for the fish to hide in etc. i guess my question is.. can you put the dwarf puffer with the beta without the puffer killing the beta? half the sites i've gone to say it should be alright. and the other half says either not sure or no. but then when i got the frog a lot of sites said it depends on the agressiveness of both.. so do you think its the same case with the puffer in that it is a chance?

20. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

I had a betta and mystery snail in a small heated tank and they did very well. Bettas ideally need a heated tank, being tropical fish. They mioght survive in an unheated tank, but they do not thrive. They are much more active and vibrant in a heated tank. Dwarf African Frogs are cool, I have 2 in my aquaruim and they are such fun to watch. Just gotta watch for escapees...