1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is my bird telling me?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Oct 11, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I asked a question about a low sort of growling noise, but she no longer does that. Lately when I talk to her she responds with a little high toned whisper, and once in awhile she whistles very quietly. Is this because she's so young? or does she just love me? She seems to mutter when she's on my shoulder, and she sits next to my face and grooms me. Also if I leave the room, she watches me, but if my cat and dog follow me, she gets jealous (I think) and she starts to whistle like she's saying "Look, I can whistle, come back!"
    She also follows me around when I have her on the ground. When she sits outside of her cage she almost always flies down and finds me. The other day I was sweeping the kitchen, and she followed me, and then she noticed the broom. She tried chasing the dust that blew around, that was cute! Today she helped me put away groceries. When I got done with a paper bag I put it on the floor and she crawled in there to check it out. She's such a character, I never knew a bird could be like this. Sure my budgie has a huge personality, but it's nothing like Gizmo (I think I want to name my cockatiel this....I haven't decided.)
    Well, thanks for looking at my long post...I have a habit of doing that I guess...sorry.
    -mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Cockatiels make many different tones most of which are happy tunes.
    You will know if she is not happy as she will either stay very quiet all day or she will hiss with a very high pitched screach.

Sounds to me like she is one very happy bird and has alot of trust in you so i would not worry about her, Cockatiels love to inverstigate things so first chace they get at something new they will go for it.

Sounds to me you have done a great job with her and she loves and trusts you enough to come over to you and follow you around this is a true bond between bird and owner..

Mike

3. zarate

zarate New Member

Thanks Mike, that's great news. I really enjoy her company. I almost always have her cage door open when I'm home and able to keep a constant eye on her (even tho she ends up by me anyways! LOL)
    About how much should I feed her each day? She seems to eat a lot, is this because she's still growing? She enjoys her fruits and veggies, but she also enjoys her seed. Should she be getting veggies everyday, or just every so often? I've read a bunch of sites and they all say something different!
    She doesn't play with any of her toys in her cage, so I tried switching them around and gave her some different ones. One thing she sure likes is the dogs tags. He just sits there looking at me like "Well, aren't you going to tell her no? You tell me no if *I* get too close to her!" She likes to nibble at those as long as the dog doesn't walk away. I really want to get her pic up here, but we don't have a digital camera, and the camera's on our cell phones don't take good pictures. But eventually we'll get some pics up. Thanks again Mike
    -Mandi