1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what puppy would u suggest

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by annabelle7, May 3, 2005.

1. annabelle7

annabelle7 New Member

Hi we have 2 big dogs, a bloodhound named Annabelle (shes mine) and a greatdane names Gracie (she is my older brothers dog.) My little brother wants one now too--a calm dog--but a small one--what kind would ya'll suggest for him--he thinks he wants a yorkie--but are they hyper little dogs? What other little breeds of dogs would any of you recommend for him--he is 11 years old--he's responsible--so what kind would u think would be good for him??? :?
    Anybody can write back about this :D He really wants a dog--but he has to wait until Christmas--so we have a little while to think about it--I appreciate the help everyone!!

2. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

I would recommend taking him down to the local animal shelter and letting him meet one of the many dogs there. Even though some breeds do display certain characteristics, individuals do not. :) I've met calm Border Collies and hyperactive St. Bernards.

If you meet the dog when it's grown, you'll have a great idea of his/her temperment. :)

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Most of the Yorkies I'v met (including mine) can be hyper.

For a calmer small dog, have you thought of a Shih Tzu. Most of the ones I know are very calm with good temperments.

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Long haired dachshunds. Either miniature or standard. They're calm, they're smart, they're people oriented and love to snuggle. At the same time, they're happy to chase a ball, play hide and seek; if it's fun, they're up for it. Exactly what an 11 year old boy would want in a dog. Grooming requirements are minimal, just nails, comb out now and then, and a bath if they get into something smelly. And speaking of smelly, dachshunds don't have any doggy odor.

5. annabelle7

annabelle7 New Member

Wow! thats a lot to think about--thanks everyone

6. LadyT

LadyT New Member

I say a Miniture Pincsher I think they are adorable dogs but they run fast as ever :lol:

7. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I agree with the animal shelter idea.

And Shine--long haired dachshunds don't SMELL? Really? That's great! My smooth ones smell like fritos--even after a bath.

8. annabelle7

annabelle7 New Member

I WOULD LOVE TO ADOPT ONE FROM AN ANIMAL SHELTER--BUT WE HAVE DUCKS--I WANT ALL THE DOGS TO GET ALONG W/ THE DUCKS--I AM AFRAID A GROWN ONE MIGHT HURT THEM--THAT IS WHY WE HAVE ALL PUPPIES--AND DON'T BUY GROWN DOGS--

9. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Coppersmom, I didn't exactly say dachshunds don't smell. I said they don't have doggy odor. Olsen has a smell, but it's not doggy. It's more like ginger and cinnamon. Actually, I've heard a lot of people say their smooth dachshunds smell like Fritos. But you can't exactly call that doggy odor.

10. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I guess you're right. That frito smell isn't like a general doggie odor, is it? I had never smelled it before I got my doxies.

11. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Maybe you can talk to the shelter and see if they will let you take a dog home for the weekend, that way you can see how they react to the ducks.

Also it isn't a good idea to let small dog around the ducks unsupervised because ducks nails can do quite a bit of damage if the ducks were to go after the dog.

12. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

sorry...off topic a bit.
    shine do you know why one of my dogs would smell like menudo (sp) or corn tortillas???? Of all the thousands of dogs Ive been around Ive never smelt this before, she was the one that we found in a trash can at a day old (if that) and despite various shampoos etc she always smells like this....Im thinking its got to be an internal thing its not her hair.....like its actually in her skin.....Ive questioned MANY vets about this but no-one can give me answer.....any idea??? The best I can come up with is something to do with the dams diet while pregnant but it cant be from anything after she was born.....I felt cheated, the only puppy Ive had in donkeys years and I missed out on 'puppy breath'....got menudo breath instead :(

13. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Annabell, There are lots of puppies at the shelters too
    Where did you get your bloodhound? My boss is trying to help a coworker get one, he is in Maryland.

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

He is looking. But buying from pet stores is pretty scarey. How is the health of your bloodhound. Did he/she check out well at the vet? What state are you in?

15. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I often get asked why a dog smells like *insert odor here*, and sometimes I can run it down, sometimes I can't. If you suspect it's some sort of internal thing causing the odor, and if you find it offensive, I'd suggest parsley capsuls or chlorophyl tablets to see if that helps.

If things like ear infection, yeast infections of the skin, bad teeth, or anal gland problems aren't causing the odor, there are several shampoos that are specially formulated for dogs with odor problems. I like Grimeinator by Groomer's Edge.

16. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

thanks shine.....its nowhere specific, just a basic all over, its not as bad now as it was when she was pup (shes almost 5 now) but if you get really close to her you can smell it still. Ill mention the Grimeinator and capsules, BJ (the dog) is living with my daughter in CA now since I moved but I have a good friend thats a groomer....shes never been able to figure this one out.....strange, Ill let you know if the capsules work though, thats interesting.
    Thanks again.

17. annabelle7

annabelle7 New Member

She was in excellent health when we got her and still doin great! she has had all her shots she needs right now for her age

18. nern

nern New Member

LOL. Natalies feet smell like fritos sometimes...not her body though. The smell goes away after I give her a bath. The GSD mix I had as a kid also had frito feet.

19. duckling

duckling New Member

What do you consider a small dog... specifically a toy-sized dog?

Do either of your dogs tend to play roughly with small dogs or have much prey drive? I think a lot of the toy breeds (and puppies in particular) are kind of fragile for rough-and-tumble play with extra-large dogs, even if the large dogs are just playing normally. If this isn't a factor, I would second the suggestion of a standard longhaired dachshund. The ones I've met are calm and very sweet, but they (like other dachshunds) are prone to spinal disc problems. Or maybe a pug for a dog that is small, relatively mellow but playful, and not as fragile as some of the other toy breeds?

Maybe you could bring your two dogs to the shelter and have them help your brother pick out a new sibling!

20. annabelle7

annabelle7 New Member

we are thinking about a yorkie--chihuahua--maltese--miniature dachshund--toy poodle--something like that--or a miniature pinscher--not a pug--my friend has one--hers is real over weight--i heard most of them do get over weight--