1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What shall I do

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Chezza, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Chezza

Chezza New Member

OK, my pepper, as you know, has been laying, she's in with another female, she's so clucky, she has layed a cluster of 4 eggs so far, and before she didn't want to know about them??? :?
    NOW she has taken interest and wont stop sitting on them, shes very protective, but she allows me still to touch her, and pat her while she is on them..Ohhhhh poor girl..
    Nothing will come of it, I don't want to take them, because she will lay more, so shall I let her just sit on them.. :?:
    When we get into our new home, which is soon, I'm going to put her in an aviary and get her a mate..
    She will make a great mother, shes very soft and caring, not aggressive at all..
    Any advice would be appreciated..Thanks. :D

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi its fine to leave her with the eggs she will soon get bored of them once she realises that they will not hatch.
    Some birds will not sit on there clutch until the 3rd or 4th egg has been laid so this sounds about right for her to take to them.

The longer she sits on these eggs the better chance you have of her not laying anymore clutches, She may lay a couple more but she may not.

Pepper is a budgie ( parakeet) If so when you put her in an aviary depending on the amount of birds your keeping in there you will need to give them atleast 2 nest boxes per pair and have them all placed at the same height.
    If you are going to mix birds then the budgies need to be bred in cages away from the other birds as female budgies are very aggressive during breeding and can and will kill any bird that goes near there nests, They will even attack other birds to steal there nesting sites.

Mike

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Hi Mike, pepper is my Tiel, if she goes in an aviary she will go alone with her mate, both my girls are very very tame, so my other girl will be happy to be by herself anyway. She has "Never" lay ed nor ever been clucky, only with me lol.. :lol:

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Oh yes now i remember.
    I don't know if you remember i hand raised one of my tiels because her clutch mates got killed, Well she has her own mate and is a very good mother, So i don't think you will have anything to worry about when it comes to her being with a mate and raising a family.

Mike