1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What to Buy For A Puppy!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Royalty, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Royalty

Royalty New Member

I need a list.

So far I have:

Crate
    Food
    Food Bowls (what kind do you prefer?)
    Nylond Lead
    Nylon Collar

Toys...but I have no idea what kind!!!
    I feel like I am forgetting stuff. So tell me everything I need to buy!

And...what dog food do you think is #1?
    I am having a hard time deciding between Chicken Soup, Innova, Innova EVo, and Wellness. For a small breed (Havanese! :mrgreen: )

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

For toys, try things like hard chew toys, look into some safe 'freezer toys' like they have for human babies, puppies are teething until they are around 7-8 months old (depending on breed). Squeeky toys. A ball.

Personally I prefer stainless steel bowls. Grooming tools, like brush/comb. It also helps if you have things like a thermometer, Karo Syrup (the dark one...watch out for things like blood glucose dropping if the pup isnt eating well).

Heres some info on the breed.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/havanese.htm

and some info on hypoglycemia

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=877

As for the food, intially you should stick with what the breeder has been giving as a quick diet change can result in an upset stomach (vomiting and diarrhea) but then when you decide what you want to feed do the change over gradually, I usually do a quarter of the new food/ to three quarters of the original for about 2 - 3 days, then half and half for 3 days and then a quarter original and three quarters new for 3 days and then all new food. Some small pups wont eat the dry food, if this happens (and if your actually feeding dry) then you can add some warm water to it and let it soak and soften up a bit.

Oh...and a handy book on the breed, places like Petsmart usually have a good range, some of the books there will give you info on the potential health issues and what to watch for, training techniques, behavioural issues and how to avoid them in the first place etc.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Grooming tools you'll need; a slicker brush, a medium/fine greyhound comb, nail clippers, grooming spray, a good one for Havanese would be The Stuff, and puppy shampoo. Eventually you'll want thinning scissors and blunt tipped scissors for trimming feet/pads.

Grooming tips from a pro: Don't feel like you have to comb/brush the entire puppy in one sitting. Just sit with your puppy and comb one section. If puppy behaves, praise him and give him a treat. You want puppy to learn that grooming is a pleasant experience, not a torture session. Do another section during the next session.

Have the breeder or a groomer show you how to line brush your puppy. You wouldn't believe the number of dogs we see that look perfectly brushed out, only to find they're matted next to the skin because the owner is only brushing the surface hair, and not getting all the way to the skin.

Show Havanese are kept in natural coat. No obvious trimming. But many pet owners find that clipping the coat makes it easier to maintain. You can have this done professionally, or you can learn to do it yourself. It's not all that difficult. Ask around and find a groomer who will give you lessons and advise you on what equipment to buy. Be prepared to pay them for their time, and bring cookies.

If you bathe your pup, you MUST brush him out as he dries, or he'll become hopelessly matted.

If he gets matted, have a pro clip him. Brushing out a badly matted dog is very painfull for the dog...and the groomer. It may not be the look you want if you have to have him clipped short, but it's hair, it will grow. I've seen it happen, lol.

Tip his nails frequently. Long, overgrown nails will cause his feet to become deformed, and can even grow back into his pads, causing a painful wound and infection. Don't forget the dew claws, unless he's had them removed at birth. Dew claws don't wear down like the rest of his nails will, and are the first to grow back into the toe.

Thinning scissors can be used to break up small mats, making them easier to comb out. Detailing scissors are used to trim long hair between the pads, and to neaten the face and feet. Again, have the breeder or a groomer show you how to do it safely.

Other things you probably want on hand are housebreaking pads and an enzymatic cleaner to take care of the accidents that are bound to happen. And seeing as allergies are a concideration, check out Allerpet D. You wipe the dog down with it to reduce the dander and saliva that causes most people's pet allergies.