1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What to get?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Lunchbox, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Lunchbox

Lunchbox New Member

I am going to be in the market for a female companion to for my Lou. Not for breeding, but someone to bounce around with. She will be fixed if she isnt already. The thing is I want to adopt from a shelter. So should I get a dog more his age, or is an adult female ok? What signs should I look for when I take him for a doggie meeting? I know he'll bow-up & strut his stuff like always, but how can I tell if she would be receptive? I know adopting from a shelter is a crap-shoot on health & temperment, but right now there is around 20 female pits in shelters around my area. Why buy a puppy when I can help one of these dogs.

2. goob

goob New Member

PBRC has some good information on adopting a shelter dog, as well as a temperament test you can use to evaluate possible cantidates. Here's a link to the temperament test page itself. Remember that even two APBTs who get along should not be left alone together, as even best buddies get into arguments, and an argument between two APBTs (or even pit mixes) could prove to be deadly with no one there to break it up. You can try to minimize chances of problems by getting a dog of the opposite sex, and it's sometimes better to adopt an adult dog (at least 2-3 yrs old), so you have a better idea of the dog's temperament, as well as how dog aggressive they are. You might also look towards dogs that are currently in foster homes, as you can sometimes get a better idea of how the dogs are in a home environment, with other dogs, etc. Good luck!