1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what to use to stop chewing?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by papillon/mom, Aug 18, 2004.

1. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

I have now decided that Rosco is trained enough to be left in the whole house, him and his brother. I caught him chewing my beautiful wood work on Sunday I told him no and looked really mad at him, he knew. When my hubby came home I showed him and he said "what did you do" that is the death word for them and he put his ears down and walked away sad looking. I put lemon juice on it and hoped he wouldn't do it again. Well today my hubby got home and he caught him doing it again. What can I put on it to stop him? I am going to try hot sause I think but that is so obvious and it is in a very noticible area of my living room so I would like to make it not so undecrative. Any suggestions. :cry:

2. DogLover

DogLover New Member

When mine did the similar chewing like yours, I always caught him in action. Raised my voice, stopped him from doing it. Praise him when he walked away. I never tried lemon juice before, but apple bitter works for mine. At first, it was tiring because I supervised my dog every second of my waking hours. At least now he doesn't chew on things that I don't want him to.

The thing is Rosco thinks he may chew on the wood work when you're not around. When you are home, pay close attention to him. Whenever he is about to chew again, stop him from chewing, and direct him to somewhere else. Praise him by giving him a treat and use happy voice.

Another thing that may help is train him on chewing his own toys. I read it somewhere on the Internet, when you dog is in the mood of chewing and is chewing on prohibited item, redirect him to chew on his own toys. This works for mine. I went to the dollar store and bought him a lot of stuffed toys for him to chew on.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

There are several spray-on products on the market to discourage a dog from biting/chewing on furniture, carpets, curtains, etc. Here are 2 products that I recommend and have used with great success:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 2778495991

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 2778495992

(There are others that also work very well, but they're all pretty much the same, to be honest with you!)

I would imagine that these products should work well for you, but in the mean time, correction is needed. Any time you see them chewing at the furniture, clap your hands to get their attention (if need be), and in a stern (not yelling) voice, say to them, "NO" (or "NO CHEW," whatever you desire). Immediately after saying that, hand them an acceptable chewing item. Once they start chewing on the acceptable chew, be sure to reward them with positive verbal praise, and a *small* treat. In addition, every so often, if you happen to see them chewing on one of their acceptable chews, go up to them and reward with positive verbal praise and a small treat.

Wishing you luck in training! :D

4. Brian

Brian New Member

Hi,

Give bitter apple a try. If that doesn't work, use Thai chili pepper or tiger balm. That will teach them a lesson or two hopefully.

Brian

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

My vote is for BITTER APPLE also. From my experience only, it worked GRRRRRREAT!! Bailey (like all puppies) liked to chew on the kitchen cabinet doors and base boards.... Bitter Apple worked like a CHARM!!!

6. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

Both times he did it he was caught. [-X We told him "no" and then the death words in our house "what did you do" in a very stern voice. He knows he shouldn't do it, he walks away w/his ears down. Yesterday when I came home I asked him "who did this" he put his ears down when I pointed at it and he walked in his bed very hunched 8-[ . I unfortuantly can not watch him 24/7 me and my hubby work f-time jobs.
    My Baby-I have nature's miracle for pet odors (worked good) would that be the same? I was going to put it on this morning but instead I used lemon juice again; hoping he wouldn't do it again.
    Monster and everyone that suggested "bitter apple" what is this? :?: Is it purchased in a grocery store? Is it a liquid or a spice? I am not familiar w/what store or department to purchase this in.
    I took Max my oldest dog to petsmart puppy school and they said to use lemon juice if not hot sauce well w/the hot sauce it is too dark to put on my wood work. :( I would like to try the bitter apple it seems the most accesable for me. I never have time to go to petsmart :cry: . My dogs food comes right to our house w/the treats. :wink:

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

No, Nature's Miracle actually makes several products, one being the accident clean-up product, which is what you are speaking of. However, they also make a product called, "Best Behavior," which is the anti-chew spray-on product for furniture and other household items your dog may be chewing on.

The only reason why I was hesitant, and ended up not putting Grannick's Bitter Apple, was because I know a couple of people who used it on some of their furniture legs, cabinets, etc. and experienced some staining/discoloring as a result! :shock: This particular product, Grannick's Bitter Apple, was not meant to be used on furniture, rugs, etc! Rather, it was designed and formulated to be sprayed ON a dog's fur/hair (for hot spots, fur biting, and other problems)! I have used that product a couple of times, and had no problems with staining, but discontinued using it b/c of problems I heard occurring after use. Therefore, I switched to a product that was intended for use on furniture, rugs, and other household items!

All of these products can easily be found at your local Petsmart or Petco! :y_the_best:

:D

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Yup... I bought the Bitter Apple at the local petstore and also at Petsmart. From what I've heard is that it was originally for birds! LOL To stop them from picking at their feathers... hence the picture of a BIRD on the label!! LOL.....

anyhow, I have never had any problems with staining.. in fact the times I have used it were on the drywall/baseboards which are white (no stains) and on the kitchen cabinet doors which are light oak colored. No stains at all..... hmmm.

9. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Monster~

:-# Just out of curiosity, is your product made by Grannick's? I only ask because the bottle of Bitter Apple I had, had a picture of a dog with some bald type spots on him! When you said your bottle has a pic of a bird on front, it just made me wonder if there was another product by Grannick's, or if yours is just a completely different brand!?

For visual sake, this is the product (Bitter Apple) I used for a bit (you'll notice the dog on the front):

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 2896783712

Just wondering! :D

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Yessssssss.... same stuff!! That's weird!! I just ran downstairs to look at the bottle and make sure..... and yup... but, my bottle has a BIRD on it! LOL I remember asking the guy at the petstore, cuz I FIGURED it wasn't the right stuff..... that's when he told me about how it's just on birds to stop pulling their feathers out.

Hmm. I wonder if different sized bottles have different animals...!?!!? hmmm

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Huh, that is weird!!! :-s

I'm wondering if they make bitter apple to be used on different animal types - like one for dogs, cats, birds, etc.?!?!

Who knows! :0011: