1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What was the first day like?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, May 25, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

We are 3 days away from picking up our girls ( :eek: :eek: ) and I have been wondering what their first day at home will be like.

I would like to make the transition as easy as possible for them.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance! :D

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

The day we picked up Mickey & Tigger in just two words...BUSY and L-O-N-G (but GREAT)!!!

We had to drive 5 hours to get to the breeder (well, I'll admit, it took a little longer than that b/c we accidentally took a wrong ramp and ended up in Iowa instead of Missouri..."Welcome to Iowa" was not the sign we were supposed to see...OOPS :roll: ). Once we got there we took lots of pics with the breeder and Mickey and Tigger, talked all about food, vets, papers, etc., said our fare-wells, and off we went! The drive home took about 6 hrs. since we had to stop and let Mickey & Tigger out every once and a while to stretch a bit and potty. It was late evening by the time we got home, and we were all exhausted, including Mickey & Tigger (even though they slept most of the way home). We let them explore the house (CLOSELY supervised), and after some extensive exploring, they were tuckered out and ready to get some sleep. It was getting late, so we decided to just go to bed and call it a day!

The best advice I have for you PooGirl is to keep it calm and simple upon their arrival home! Show them their "potty area," let them do some exploring in your home, and so on. I don't recommend a big 'ole party the day you bring them home! Let them really get to know their new surroundings, you and your hubby, and just to take it easy!

We actually had a party with family and friends about 2 weeks after bringing them home...it was great, and Mickey & Tigger LOVED it! :eek:

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Thank you very much MyBaby! I appreciate the advice and giving me an idea of what it was like. We are definetely going to keep it as relaxed as possible.. no visitors or anything, just us and our poos from Thursday through Monday!

Our trip will be an hour.. do you think that we can make it home w/o stopping? Of course, I don't mind stopping at all, I just want to do what's best for them.

Since we're picking them up so early (9:00 am), we'll have the entire day. I imagine they'll want to explore/sleep/eat for the most part! Hey, sounds a lot like mommy... :0017:

I talked to the breeder a little while ago, they are doing great (I could hear "Bark, bark, bark" in the background.. I think they were talking to me!), they received a clean bill of health and the breeder is going to send them each home with a toy (with the mother's scent on it..) :eek:

OMG, this day is almost over! :eek:

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

That's great...definitely the best way to do it! And it is FANTASTIC that you and your hubby will be able to be home Thurs. through Mon., that'll be SO nice for your shih-poos, it will definitely help to make things a little easier on them!

I think that they would probably be fine on the way home given that they elminated soon before you left to go home! On our trip back home with Mickey & Tigger, we stopped every hour, and that was more than enough for them. Just keep a close eye on the two of them, and watch for any signs that they may need to go.

It may be a good idea to bring along some paper towels and/or wet wipes in case one of them gets carsick and throws up, or has an accident! Mickey & Tigger didn't have any accidents or anything else on the way home, so I never needed those things, but if it does happen, you don't want to be caught off guard w/out something to clean it up with whether it be on them, your car, or even you! It's great that you only have an hour drive though, that way if something does happen, you're not too far from home! :y_the_best:

That's wonderful, they'll practically have a full first day at their new forever home! Don't be surprised if they sleep A LOT that first day, and for several months to come...puppies definitely do a lot of sleeping! You'll quickly learn to treasure those lovely naps they take, believe me! :wink: (Playing with them when they are awake is too much fun though, don't get me wrong, but they are just like toddlers, when they're up, you better be up too, and ready to go! LOL :) )

LOL, sounds like we have some common similarities!!! :mrgreen:

:eek: WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO...talk about getting anxious!!!! :eek:

5. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

They will definately want to sleep more than you want them to at first .
    They will be scared alittle ,so holding is really good .But since there are two of them ,the being afraid will bel ess .Also ,really watch and make sure they drink and eat .Sometimes stress makes them not want to eat and that is dangerous for them ,so if you see they are not eating ,then use something to encourage them to eat ,and give them a little honey on your finger a couple times a day ,increases the bonding and also keep them from a sugar drop ....3 more DAYS AND COUNTING DOWN !!!! :eek:

6. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Be sure and take a bowl and some water with you just incase its hot. also its nice to have some nutri- start on hand for sugar lows. you can get it at petsmart for 5 something. I know your excited i would be too i am waiting to pick up two maltese and a yorkie female . it wont be till July be i can't hardly wait.

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Bailey's first day was pretty interesting.... we did what we probably shouldn't have.... took him to visit his new grandma, aunt, cousins, etc... LOL.... He did fantastic and was quite the snuggler.

Once we got him home, the poor little fella was so shy and nervous. He immediately went for cover when we got home.... hiding under the coffee table, ottoman, etc.... It took him quite some time on that first nite to get used to his surroundings.

He definitely had that "home sick" sadness about him. I know he missed his mommy and brothers/sisters. I would tell you the same thing about your babies, but I don't think they'll have any problems since they'll have each other :) went

We TRIED (I should have known us better!!) to crate him the first nite and neither me or hubby could stand it by about 3am, so we CAVED IN ON THE FIRST NITE! ugh........ and, so needless to say, he spent his first nite in our bedroom without making a sound. (and every nite since then ! LOL)

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

LOL Bailey that was us. My first night with Belle (my first pom) I had her sleep with me. Well actually she slept on my pillow. We tried to put her in the bathroom for the night but she whinned and I went running. So now both poms sleep on me and make sure I cannot move without hurting them. My husky if she is in one of her you cannot stop petting me moods will sleep with us, and headbunt and kick us if we stop petting. She has now taught this to my pom only it doesnt hurt wit her teeny head.

All my dogs were over 6mo when we brought them home so they were scared to death in their new surroundings. My husky adapted better than the poms but she is alot lazier anyway. We kept belle in our room sancioned off for a few days since we have little kids I didnt want them to scar her for life. But they all adjusted well. I used to freak out thinking they wouldent know where their food was, their water. I had little food bowls all over the house.

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

lmao@3dogs:

now THAT is funny!!!!

10. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

LOL ! 3dogs !
    I know how you feel .
    The first time i got a dog of my own ,I almost worried myself to death and him too .His name was Stopper ...I found him in the middle of a 4 lane hiway with traffic stopped on both sides ,cause he was running back and forth ,people then were much nicer than today ,anyway ,he was a toy poodle and I imagine had jumped out a window or someone dumped him ..Anyway ,I lean out the car door and said "Come here little Stopper of cars " he came right over to me .I took him home ,cleaned him up ,made a trip to the vet and he was the light of my life .But I was crazy with his welfare and worried about ,did he eat ,get enough to drink ,is he using the bathroom enough .Almost drove the vet nuts ,I think I called everyday for a few months .
    But he was worth it ,worth it all !

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I've never started out with a little young pup, but am I wrong in you should not let the pup outside on grounds that you don't know if a sick animal has been on, because of parvo, distemper. Being the pups have not had all shots yet. Someone clarify this. I don't want anything to happen to your babies.

12. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Great tips Malti! I wouldn't have thought about the honey.. we have some so I will definetely get that out just in case!

Thank you too, Kindness... I hadn't even thought that low sugar would be an issue! I'm glad I have you guys! I hope they are able to eat on their own, but you just never know. They could very well be too nervous as you said.

Oh, Monster! There you are breakin' all the rules again!! :lol: I really can't imagine why you'd want to show off Bailey right away :roll: (yeah, right, he's too cute to not show off!!!) Bailey obviously had a great time, and like they always say, "Mommy knows best"!!

I really hope that my hubby and I can make it through the night w/o caving in... I'm sure it's really hard not to come to them if they cry/whine a little... perhaps since they have each other it won't be so bad but you never know.

Puttin ~ Interesting that you mention that because it is something that I was wondering.. We are planning on taking our girls out to their fenced off area of the yard for them to go potty, but I was wondering if they should actually be outside for anything other than that? They obviously have not had all their shots (just the 1st set), so I imagine they can't "play" outside just yet........ would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Thanks everyone! Today is ALMOST OVER! And, ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

13. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

By the way, I really appreciate everyone sharing what the first day with your pup(s) was like. The anticipation of our girls coming home is incredible and although I know that everyone's experience will be different, it's nice to hear what it was like for each of you.

It helps a lot ~ love you all! :love_y_t_much:

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Oh, I remember someone saying once that they had a opened vent under their couch that was forgotten. Well their new pup found it. Took them some time but got it out. Make sure their are no open vents or hole etc. they will find them. Even climb into sofa couches.

15. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

How scary!!! :shock: Yes PooGirl, be sure to very carefully go through your home puppy proofing anything and everything...wires, strings, holes, small objects, insect poison traps, etc.!

I talked to our neighbor (a vet) about this when we brought Mickey and Tigger home, and he said that our backyard (and only ours) would be fine for Mickey & Tigger, but no other place until after the proper shots have been administered. I wouldn't dare bring your pups into any pet stores, parks of any sort, and any other places where there's a high volume of other dogs (and animals). You have to be really careful at first to reduce their risk of contracting any kind of disease...the younger they are, the more susceptible they are. I would imagine your backyard would be okay, but it is best to talk to your own vet and see what she thinks!!! :y_the_best: