1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What would you have done ?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by ilovemaltipoos, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

You seem to have an excuse for everything.

And when you ask what we would have done, who is at fault does come into play. Would I confront the man, NO, because it was YOUR fault. I think all you want is sympathy.

I agree with you that the man overreacted. But YOU put him in that situation. I am glad that your dog is so friendly but you need to realize that not every human or every dog is. It is not my responsibility nor anyone elses to deal with your dog. My responsibility is MY dog. I keep control over her at all times. Your responsibility is to do the same with your dog, not make excuses as to why you couldn't/didn't and then place the blame on a 3rd party.

And just so you know, legally, if we were in that situation (your dog ran up to my leashed dog, whose leash I was holding, and my dog bit your dog) you would be held liable. That is what the leash laws are all about. Even if this took place in a vet's office. A vet's office is a place of business, not a dog park.

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I hope you don't take yours to a dog park then .
    I know what a vets office is .
    I am not making excuses ,you are trying to make this into something else for whatever reason .And if your dog bite mine ,I can guarentee it would not be mine's fault ,so would my attorney .A leash law protects people and other dogs ,animals .If mine and yours is on a leash and yours is a biter ,it is your fault .Wherever Sam goes ,he is on a leash ,was that day ,the length would not have kept him from the bench,my food was at one end of the bench where we had sat earlier ,you are getting it all totaly out of porportion and turning it into some type dog attacks man with wag of tail and man has to reach over to the middle of the bench to fend it off .Poor man ! Almost scared out of his wits in a vets office cause a dog came within two feet of him . And even if I had not let go the leash for a split second ,Sam would have gotten whamed in the back .
    I do not need sympathy ...that is so off the wall it is laughable .

Let me explain again. so you can maybe understand the original question ? ..the bench is about 6 feet long ...man sitting by door on one end of bench ...I am about 2 feet from middle of bench ...bend down to pick up dog food ...Sam jumps on bench looking at me ..close to the middle ....man reaches over ...whams Sam from the back ...Sam either jumps staight up or the hit was so hard it shoots him up ...lands on his back with back leg under him right at my feet ...I drop dog food ,puppies ,leash again and scoop Sam up ....man leans back over to HIS sitting position ...I give him a "I will be back look "
    I get back ,he is gone ...What would you do ? original question ,I hope you understand it now .

3. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

[-( Ok take a deep breath everyone, and excel. This topic is turning into a fight.

<b>Elizavixen</b>, I see no point in getting rude and taking this topic to personal levels.
    Accusations will serve wrong the purpose of this message board and normaly take us nowhere.

“Making my point in a respectful and Tactful manner" is the keyphrase of the day!.

Thank you
    Auspetian :wink:

4. ilovemaltipoos

I am very sorry if I offended anyone .thank you for reminding me that I can get all out of sorts at times when it comes ot my babies .
    All I wanted was a few opinions on how best to approach ,with a cool head the man in question with a why he done it and I was already angry .Guess I was taking that out here too and I should not have .I love my Sam very much and again if I offended anyone I am sorry .

5. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

My first reaction when I read the first initial post was that I would just ignore the situation and be mad to myself but that confrontation would amount to nothing and accomplish even less. I would be very upset and my husband and family and friends, and all of you, would hear about it for the next few days. (But I have to admit that I too would have returned to give this man a piece of my mind and possibly physical harm--it's a temper problem when someone hurts anything or anyone that I love!)

However, after continuing to read on and finding out a few more of the details, like the dog was a safe distance from the man, not bothering him at all and the man had to REACH OVER and knock him off of the bench and was very close to you, where if your dog did start to want some attention from this 'crazy-mad man' you could have called Sammy away from him because you after all were right there to correct YOUR OWN dog and did not need this man to correct your dog. I think this man has hunting dogs, I know his kind-I live in a hunting area- and obviously does not like small dogs- but cannot attack someone or some animal just because he does not like them. Anyway--to my point-- :x your dog was hurt by this man. Your dog had every right to sit on that bench just like the man and was minding his business and the man should have done the same. Move if you don't want to sit by the dog--don't hurt him because he is an innocent bystander! The point is--your dog was hurt because of this man- not because of any wrong doing by your dog. Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but we should not roll over and accept the damages that are done to us by uncaring individuals. He should be responsible for any injuries that he has caused to your dog because your dog did not touch him--in fact it seems as though this man regards dogs as hunters, not companions and resents people who regard them as anything else-I say this because I know- my dad and family members raised beagles and coon hounds-so....Send him the bill. You were wronged-NOT him! I cannot believe people are actually taking his side. Sorry I have taken so much time and space but this really makes me upset that people are looking in all these directions and missing the whole point.

Wew....got that all out...I think :lol:

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Please do not make statements such as this. You do not know this man. My grandfather had hunting dogs and he treated them like they were part of his family.

I really don't see how I came across as rude but I'll sum up my point as tactfully as possible.

If you were not holding the dog's leash then the dog was out of your control. Your dog may be the friendliest, most good natured thing on the planet. It doesn't matter. Others do not know your dog's temperment. Besides that, there are lots of crazy people in the world and you do not know what they are thinking or their opinions about dogs so if you want your dog to be safe then you need to keep control over it, not expect others to deal with your dog. I am just trying to tell you something from a different viewpoint so something worse doesn't happen to your dog. And legally, I don't know the exact laws of your state, but in most, if your dog is not leashed, or you are not holding the leash, you are liable for whatever happens to your dog. You just need to be aware of that, I'm not trying to insult you or whatever it is people seem to have a problem with in my posts, it's all just for future reference.

7. ilovemaltipoos

I know what you are saying Bridget ,I also live in a hunting area .
    I was tactfully (HAHA ) warned a few weeks ago that some of my dogs (My collie and my Blue Healer ) just might come up shot .
    this was done because there is a hunting club about a mile from my house ,some of the hunters skin the deer where they kill it at and leave all but the choice meat .and the head to stuff ...now that not only draws my dogs but others as well and other animals ,fox ,wolves ...etc..
    Now ,my dogs was there a few weeks ago and messed up a hunters shot ...he said ...so I got threatend with ..."NEXT TIME I WILL JUST SHOOT YOUR DOGS " ...So ,what I replied was ..."GO FOR IT ,CAuse when you do ,I am coming after you and yours ". I am thinking that this man just may be a member of that club ,getting a list of names from the owner that rents out the land to them .If his name is on there and someone told me tonight it was ,so he may have known exactly just who I was ...I am most certainly going to my attorney and just may pay him a personal visit after all .
    Aparently ,the city man above does not understand the country and lives by "gentleman rules " It doesn't happen here .A battle each day during hunting season cause they will come right up to your property and start shooting just to hear your dogs go wild with barking .Buckshot or bird shot has fell on my deck many times and off I go looking for the fools .
    I have shot back too ...up in the air so the shot falls on them .They have no decent rules and don't care as long as the Buck or doe is the size they want and to tell you the truth ,many fawns around here have been found dead ,shot just to be shot .
    People around here that hunt ,they don't care what they kill or what they hunt ....I know ... One of My brothers is a member of the club ...Thanks Bridgett ...

8. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

elizavixen--I am sorry if for some reason you thought that the statement I left had anything to do w/ you, but it did not. I was not trying to offend anyone. I was not referring to you or your grandpa-nor did I intend my statement for you. I believe that you have already been repremanded by Auspetian for starting fights and I wish nothing to do w/ your bashing and that is ALL I have to say to you. :)
    Now I feel the need to explain myself because I was a little upset and when I get started in on something it's kind of hard to stop me if you know what I mean but I was called out on a statement so I need to defend it..."I know his kind"--I was in no way saying that all people who have hunting dogs are like him nor is that what I said. I said I know his kind--I am from alabama, and I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that ilovemaltis is too, and there seem to be a lot of hunters here and I know some people who believe that dogs are intended to be hunters and if they are not hunting dogs than they do not like them or want anything to do w/ them. Quite frankly, I know some people who have very 'interesting' ideas about this. If I am not mistaken it was clearly stated that this man in particular does not like small dogs--so I know his kind. That is what I said and that is what I meant. I did not mean for it to be taken out of context and I am sorry that my statements may be over analyzed, but I did not mean anything and I would not have even made the statement had I not "known his kind".
    I am so sorry if this statement offended anyone-not my intention. Any hunters that are offended I know that there are people who like all dogs-not just small, medium, large, domestic, hunting, etc. There are certainly people w/ hunting dogs who love other breeds also.
    Please forgive me :cry: I am so sorry. One-thousand apologies, just want to show a little love to ilovemaltpoos and let her know that there are people who agree w/ her also-you guys stated your piece and I was not commenting on anything you said in particular.
    Anyway I hope life can continue after my very upseting statement :cry: I promise I will offend again, but never on purpose.
    Good night to all and to all a good night :D

9. ilovemaltipoos

You said nothing wrong Bridgett ,I knew exactly what you are saying ,yeah ...I live here in the hills of ALabama and was born and raised here ,so I too know the good and the bad around here and alot of others don't understand if they were not raised here .
    Don't worry about anything you said cause no one here wants to on purpose offend anyone ,sometimes we just get all out of sorts and let it all hang out ! LOL !

10. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

I only hope that my opinions have meant something to you because it is your topic that I was replying to, not really trying to do anything but offer you my opinion--us Alabama folks have to stick together lol :lol: not just that but also fellow maltipoo lovers--
    I have deer hunting land right behind me but not any bad experiences w/ it just thought that it was neat we seem to have a lot in common-right down to the bad temper lol :D

11. ilovemaltipoos

:D We do indeed have to stick together .And thank you .Your opinion is worth something to me .All opinons do when you are trying to sort out what you feel and why , opinions are needed ,also helps to get out the anger and frustration that I felt by not getting to confront him.
    Lord ,I am old enough to know better than to get into little cat fights but I still do ! LOL !
    And Maltipoos are the coolest littel babies in the world ! Are they not ? :wink:

12. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Ok Guy's,

This pretty much concludes our "way off topic" discussion.
    You are more than welcome to start a new thread over the
    general board.