1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

When to change seed?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Jan 17, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone.. alright I got a question for you guys.. I have been changing my birds seed dishes twice a day.. I have got a seed mix which has fruits and like egg and stuff all mixed into it.. dried of course.. but as you know how birds eat they seem to pick out the parts which they like.. I know that maybe in a while they will become curious enough to try it.. but when I change the seed cups there seems to be a bunch of empty hulls and then all the other stuff that they dont seem to eat.. should I leave the cup unti they have eaten it all of should I keep changing it like I have??
    Also I have not had too much sucess with fruits and veggies although I am not about to give up do you think this seed mix I am giving them is better then just a standard seed? like should it make up for them not eating the veggies they should be?? thanks!

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

In moy own experience I find that budgies won't eat what they don't like.

For instance Kiwi won't eat pellets no matter how hard I try to give them to him. I tried mixing them with seeds, giving them to him plain and trying different brands and still no luck, all he did was throw the pellets out of his dish sand hang on the door so I would see that he had no food (that's his classic "I want food" move).

If you decide to leave them in there until they eat what they've left you might want to blow out the hulls so they know there's more food in there. Kiwi will dig to the bottom of the bowl to find food but Buster will just skim the top so I was constantly blowing hulls off for him.

If the other stuff they leave is just dried fruits you could try giving them the dried fruits as a snack so they know that it's edible.

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

ahhh thanks for your help.. I have been taking care of my parents dog while they are in Mexico so I have been limited to my "cage action" due to my fear of one of them escaping LOL.. so im very excited to start playing with my new clipped baby hehe.. I think ill keep doing waht im doing.. they seem very happy so i must be doing something right!
    thanks again!