1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

When will my parakeet learn to fly?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kiki121, Apr 29, 2004.

1. kiki121

kiki121 New Member

Hi I just got a 2 1/2 month old parakeet from a breeder and he is super sweet and was easy to hand tame. When he tries to fly nothing really happens.. he might get like 5 inches high but nothing significant and when he tries to explore he just flutters down until he crashes. I was wondering when he will be able to fly more. I'm pretty sure his wings aren't clipped, because i don't think the breeder guy does that.. he just seems like he's a baby... Also, is there any way to know the sex by behavier? Because i know he's not old enough to tell yet.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi at just over 2months old he/she will not have the ability to fly much higher than a few inches.

With my birds they were about 3-4 months old the more they were out the cage the quicker they learnt to fly.
    It also helped that there parents where around aswell so they tried even harder to fly where they were.

Its hard to tell the sex by behaviour at this age as all young birds act like the female until there first molt around 6months of age.

When he/she is out of the cage and falls to the floor make sure there is nothing it can hurt itself on.

Good luck and hope you have many hours of pleasure with your new bird.

Mike

3. scootergirl

scootergirl New Member

This made me giggle......and not at your question about your budgies, but at an experience we had here.

My husband bought the kids baby ducks one year. They followed us around and wouldn't swim even though we had a pond in the back yard. So, my husband decided that we needed to teach them how to swim. So one summer day I get on my suit, head to the pond (muddy bottom.....ick) and swim in. He's on the bank of the pond telling me to quack like a momma duck. So I do only to look back and see him rolling in the grass laughing his butt off and eight little ducks looking at me like I am crazy. Needless to say, they never did get in the pond w/me! :lol:

4. ilovebirds

ilovebirds New Member

LOL Scoot,that is too funny! :y_the_best: