1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

where do you put your litterboxes?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Nov 19, 2005.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

I have 4 kitties, and well they all use the litterboxes, we have two that we put side by side. We were having a problem with the litter being all over the floor in the room the boxes were in. So I put them in an empty closet in the same room. Its helped a little but im wondering what do you guys do about the trails of litter on the floor that cats leave?

Like I said I have two boxes in the closet and I still see the litter on the oppisite side of the room. (not dirty litter, just the sand) Also we do clean the boxes everyday, but it seems whatever room the litterboxes are in smells, even if the boxes are clean. How can you cut back on the smell?And for those of you with more then 2 cats how often do you scoop out the boxes?

I use Yesterdays news for my bunny, if i used this litter for my cats then they couldnt track sand around, except ive never used that kind of litter with them before and im worried if they dont like it they will pee and poop out of the box. Has anyone here used or use Yesterday's News, and how do you like it?

Im just worried cause im moving to a nicer place. Id like to find a solution for the litter tracking. Im also curious as to what everyones set up at home is with their boxes. What do you do to keep the boxes clean and keep the room the boxes are in clean? Also if you have dogs, what do you do to keep your dog from eating to poop?(keeping the boxes in the closet helped me, but i dont know if i can do that in the new house)

Thanks for any tips.

2. vene

vene New Member

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I have four litterboxes located in my basement. I guess I'm lucky because basements are common where I live. I don't think that's necessarily the case everywhere.

So, the smell tends to stay in the basement and we don't hang out down there. It's unfurnished and we just have our washer and dryer down there.

For five cats, we have 4 boxes (probably should have more according to the experts) and we scoop every other day. We should scoop more but it simply doesn't happen that way. Every other day seems to work... since we have 4 boxes, they don't get too dirty over two days.

They don't track the litter upstairs. We just have to sweep in the basement once in awhile to keep it tidy.

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I've got two litterboxes in the laundry room (basement). I have them on a big piece of carpet so that's where the litter ends up staying after they get out. I vacuum the carpet every week.

As for smell, I try to bleach them out once a week. I don't really notice a smell, except right after they use it (which always seems to be when I'm doing laundry!).

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I have 3 litterboxes and right now with 2 foster 6 cats.
    One box in the 1/2 bath, another box in the full bath and one in the foster room.
    I keep little rugs down in front of the boxes and I've found the litter sticks to those pretty well.
    I clean with diluted bleach every other week with a total refill and I scoop once a day.
    I use a multiple cat clumping litter

6. dawnreger

dawnreger New Member

They make plastic "rugs" specifically for trapping litter as they walk out of box. I have one and it tends to work fairly well. You can get them at PetSmart for sure, and maybe mass merchandisers like Walmart.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

We have 4 cats. Rather than having 4 standard sized litter boxes, we just use 2 of those large storage bins that are made so they can be rolled under beds. They're about 18" x 36" x 6". We keep them both in the computer room in the basement. We built a stand so one can be on the floor and the other is directly above (about 2'). We're eventually going to build a really huge kitty jungle gym thingie there so the the litter boxes will just blend in with the whole thing.

We do have a problem with them knocking litter all over the place so I'll have to remember the carpet thing.

For the smell (which normally isn't a big problem) we use some of that enzyme spray odor remover. We just mist it directly on the litter and it works fairly well.

-Chelle

8. vene

vene New Member

Has anyone ever tried the top entry litterbox? I'm inclined to try it out if it'll be litter track free. Petsmart has it for $30 and Amazon.com for $24. I suppose I can cut a hole on top of a storage box to save a little money and see how it will work out.
    How old are your kitties Winnie? I don't think some "older" cats will take to this method after reading the reviews on the product.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...omer-reviews.sort_by=-SubmissionDate&n=284507

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...4441807400&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302033737

9. nern

nern New Member

I was thinking of trying one of those vene. I have dogs and figured I could place the litterboxes anywhere if the dogs were unable to get into them.

I have 4 hooded litterboxes (I'm going to add a 5th box soon) for 7 cats. I scoop daily, change the entire contents of the boxes bi-weekly and wash them out with bleach every other month. I also used Natures Miracle one time to clean them out and it worked great but its a little too pricey to use for that purpose regularly. I keep the boxes side by side under a utility table facing the wall. This keeps the dogs from getting into them. I have small carpets (the size of a welcome mat) in front of each box which prevents the litter from tracking through the house. The litter falls off onto the small carpets and I just vacuum it off.

10. vene

vene New Member

Let me know how it works out if you try it out Nern. I remember the great pic you took of the litterbox lineup. I was thinking about using the top entry litter box but Pumpkin is 11 and arthritic so I don't think she'll take to it. We have 1 open litter box in a open, unused closet for 4 cats and we have had no accidents for 5 years now. Being a SAHM, I scoop the litter a few times a day. Now, if only I could eliminate the litter tracking.

11. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I saw a litterbox in the Super Pet flyer yesterday that was actually a plant pot, complete with artificial plant. In the back of the pot was a hole for the cat to go in. It seems like the kind of thing that would be useful if you lived in a small apartment and had to have the litter box out in the open.

I tried to find a picture of it online, but I've had no luck. I'll check again later when I have a minute.

12. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I have three boxes for 2 cats and unfortunately they are all in the biggest bathroom. One hooded, one large open one and one 20 gallon sorage container with a "door" cut in the side. I am about to do away with the open one and replace with another storage container. I scoop twice a day and dump biweekly and clean with diluted bleach. Also have to remove the hood and clean the tracks daily since Copper doesn't have very good aim.

13. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

We keep Luna's box in the spare bedroom that is being used as a storage space. Tracking litter isn't much of a problem, but she tends to get overzealous with covering stuff up and throws litter all around the box. A higher-sided box would be a solution, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. She's already using the biggest size litterbox that is sold, so I'd have to make her one myself.

14. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...=3&Nav=1&Nao=24&N=30+23&Ntt=litter+boxes&cp=3
    i was thinking of doing this but its awefully pricy for a piece of plastic. i was hoping i could get my babies it for xmas cuz the puppy is constantly getting into their hooded litter box and eating :x but I dont think I'm going to be able to afford this pricy thing :cry: it is a great idea though and you can even train them to use it ont he floor first.

15. Nano

Nano New Member

Where do you keep your litterboxes?

I have three cats, and have 4 litterboxes going, and keep them in different areas of our basement. None of my cats seem to mind going downstairs to do their business. I like it because it is not in the way of upstairs, and I'm sure the cats like it because it's more private for them.Nano.