1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Which filter is best???

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, Oct 10, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Iv been looking for a new filter for awhile now, i was planning on getthing a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 330 or a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 400, i was reading reviews on it and there where only about 2 good ones then it turned into hundreds of bad ones, such as noise prob. if you dont keep the water levels perfect and that the wheel takes alot of damage, hassle to clean and breaks alot. after all of these im back on the search for a new one cause my one that came with my tank years ago breaks daily. Please help with what one would be best because i have to order one asap so my fish dont die because of this filter.

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

What size tank? I use Aqua Clears/Fluvals and i love em

3. OneWolvesDream

It's a 29 gal. i tryed a aqua clear on my other 10 gals and it broke down on the first week 2x

4. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I use whatever looks good and is cheap enuff... :D

5. OneWolvesDream

All cheap filters here never work, you usually end up getting the filters that are $40 and up. The good ones are usually around that price.

6. sushi101

sushi101 New Member

AQUACLEAR FILTERS RULE!!! i have had a '300' for 4 years and have had no problems...just keep it clean.

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Almost all my filters came from Walmart except the 2 big ones. They are all like $8-$20 and hardly ever need replacing. None have broken down on me yet. I think they are Whisper Power Filters or something like that. They are really really quiet and clear and clean the water within 12 hours.

8. OneWolvesDream

The aqua clear filter was a walmart filter, it was junk, everyday i was pulling it apart, it had clogged for the smallest of reasons, i havnt tried the whisper ones yet, maybe ill try that one, im going out tomorrow to buy a filter. Any other ones i should think about gettin first?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually AquaTech is Walmart, not Aquaclear.

Personally, I HATE Whisper filters and will never buy another one again. I had 4 that quit working within a year and for no apparent reason. I even talked with the Whisper tech support person and she wasn't very bright.

I do like Cascade filters, but they're not one of the more commonly found brands.

-Chelle

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

i have a ACmini that my dad had on his fish tank way back when i was like 5 and it still runs awesome. I also have a AC150 that is good and a AC200 that im really pleased with :y_the_best: , Fluvals are so ncie cuz all the options ( easy to water change with them) they have 5 containers for media and stuff. there are kinda pricey though

11. OneWolvesDream

T_chelle: at our walmart you are more likely to find a Aquaclear way before you will find a AquaTech...come to think about it, our walmart doesnt even sell those.....the common filters found there are the AquaClear and the Whisper filters. The Whisper ones for a 10 gal here are about $11 but the 30 gal one is around $25. The AquaClears are around the same price range too. Other then those they sell the undergravel filters but i have heard they are 10 times worse then having a bio wheel when it stops cause you loose all of your good bacteria, but then how are you sapposed to change the carbon?? At our petsmart they have almost every type of brand there, they are huge on their fish and horse sections, even more then the dog and cat sections. lol. but they have two ilse of filters there. Last time i went they did have a cascade filter but they only had two in stock left and they had just placed them on the shelves.
    Mwm: do you know any online places that have those to order? i want to take a look at those, i havnt seen it before tho. What price range are they? cause i have up to $200 i can use on a filter.

Edit: also how can you cycle a new filter?

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I believe the carbon in biowheel filters is a separate cartridge. But you really don't normally need carbon anyway.

Big Als Online is a good store. They have really reasonable prices and carry a wide variety of brands.

If the filter is going on an already established tank in addition to the old filter, just put it on and it should be fine. If it's replacing the old filter, run both on the tank for at least 2 weeks, then remove the old one and watch for a mini cycle. If it's going on a new, uncycled tank, just do a fishless cycle.

-Chelle

13. OneWolvesDream

Thanks for all the help, i went to petsmart today and bought a tetratec filter, it was the best one there. a bit big tho. lol. I have it all set up, it takes normal filter inserts with carbon bags and i bought carbon so it should work fine. Im going to do the cycle thing because its going into my 29 gal, so just have it running wiht the other one for 2 weeks? thanks for all the help!

Edit: here is a pic of it...
    [​IMG]

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Or (I didn't think to mention it earlier) you could just put the media from the old filter into the new filter. Then you wouldn't have to run them both.

-chelle

15. OneWolvesDream

Its diff medias tho.

16. OneWolvesDream

This is a great filter! i added it about two days ago, filtering along with my other filter that cant clean to save its life, the water was quite cloudy, two days later the water is the best i have ever seen it, my fish are more active and happy. Even my slow angel fish has he best colors it has ever had and is as happy as ever.

TetraTec PF150

17. snowman

snowman New Member

which filter is best?

Eheim is THE best however you may not want to spend the $. Hagen is also a reliable product. I've used their aquaclear and fluval filters for many years with no problems. I've also used the Marineland with success. The Hagen aquaclears can be loaded with additional filter media or resins (chemipure,etc) with an inexpensive filter media bag. Power filters are great for a budget but I would encourage you to check out cannister filters. I love the convenience of mine especially the big Eheim. I've found Whisper and Penn Plax to be junk.