1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

which shampoo

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by strikers_rd, Mar 27, 2004.

1. karma

karma New Member

Jamiya,

Carnivore means "meat-eating." Omnivore means, "eating both plant and animal food." Since dogs, including wild dogs, subsist on both plant and animal food, many experts believe that dogs are omnivores. The issue is not about what diet is best for dogs.

I'm simply saying that not all experts agree with the classification. That's not to say that dogs don't do worse on strictly vegetable rather than meat diets. Many believe that they do better on meat-only, but that definition doesn't make an animal a carnivore.

And I'll also point out that dogs CAN subsist on vegetarian diets. In contrast, cats cannot do this, as they would die. Cats are termed 'obligate carnivores' which means that they have to have certain amino acids which only come from meat.

I'm certainly not an expert, and I'm not even taking one side over the other here. Not being an expert, and not understanding the issue in the depth that experts do, I'm not willing to come out with a declaratory statement of my own about the matter. I'm simply presenting another view.

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am aware of what the terms mean. But why have the term "obligate carnivore" if there wasn't a different type of carnivore than CAN eat plants and derive some of their nutrition from them? In fact, a CAT can derive some nutrition from plants - just not very well and not everything they need. Thus, they are obligate carnivores because they will die without meat.

While dogs can live on a vegetarian diet, it is not healthy for them. It also does not mean they are not carnivores. It's not black and white. "Carnivore" does not mean - I eat only meat, I can't ever eat a plant. You can't look at a wolf and say, "I saw it eat grass. It's an omnivore!" Look at the teeth, the intestinal tract, etc.

I think part of the controversy about dogs came about from "research" from "experts" in the dog food business. They want to justify why they put corn and other crap fillers in their dog food. They put it in because it is cheaper than meat. Period. But then they do "research" that supports the claim that dogs NEED it because they are omnivores, or some other crap claim like that.

Trust me, you can make "research" say just about anything you want it to.

Jamiya

3. karma

karma New Member

I completely agree about being able to use 'research' to justify about any particular point of view. The experts I speak of when I speak of those who don't necessarily agree that dogs are in the true 'carnivore' group are not people who are affiliated with dog food companies.

I understand the reasons for the classification of 'carnivore.' But there are many who believe that dogs EAT as omnivores. It's simply another viewpoint, and it's one taken by many people with degrees in the animal field.

Once again, it's not necessarily MY viewpoint. But it is A viewpoint, and I simply bring it up because it's one that some people might like to consider. I have no personal 'stake' in the issue either way.

Have a good day! :)

4. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

Hi all!
    My pittie girl has dry skin and the vet recommended HyLyt shampoo. It is kind of expensive from PetSmart, but I get it from kvvet.com. It is still a little pricey, but it works well for Zena. Also, the vet recommended Safflower oil and Vit. E be added to her food. By the way, the HyLyt shampoo smells kind of like coconut! I love it for her!
    Hope this helps....