1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

whining puppy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Olive, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Olive

Olive New Member

Hi all,

My puppy just began an extremely annoying habit. He's 7 months old and has, since we got him at 3.5 months, played well by himself when we were not playing with him. Then just a few days ago the trouble began. I work from home and he's begun coming into my office, sitting down beside me, and gently but persistently whimpering. At first I was worried and tried all the usually things (walking, water, food if it was time) but it didn't help. Now I just find it very annoying and very distracting. He gets lots of attention when I'm free but how can I tell him that when I'm working at my desk I can't play with him?

thanks for your help
    Olive

2. nern

nern New Member

Just ignore him when he does this....don't even glance at him. Any attention you give him while he is doing this will only encourage him to continue whining. Once he has been completely ingnored several times he should get the idea that whining no longer works to get your attention. You can even practice this while your not trying to work so that he won't break your concentration while you are working.
    Best of luck.

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

This might make him worse but maybe not allowing him in that room when you are working. Like I said this may make his whinning worse or it may let him know you are unable to play with him at this time.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree with Nern. Totally ignore him - and whatever you do, do NOT give up and give in!! That is the WORST thing you could do, because you just taught him that persistence pays off and he will keep it up for a VERY long time the next time.

Amazing that they can learn bad habits in one repetition but it takes hundreds for everything else...

Jamiya

5. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

You may have already done this... But I will say it anyway... Have you talked to your vet about this recent behavior? If you have then I would ignore him like the others here said. If you haven't ... you may want to make sure he is well by taking him in for a checkup. Then after you know all is ok.. then you can ignore him. Or you might want to try crateing while you are working. We have 2 dogs that are crate trained... all I say is I have to go to work... you guys need to go to bed. And they go. Our dogs love their crates and will nap with the door open when we are home. Or if they get scared they will run in to their safe place. Just and idea!

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Your pup is also rapidly approaching the "teenage" months. You should expect him to regress in some of his behavior and test you - just like a human teenager! When you know it is coming, it's not so much of a shock and you can nip it in the bud when you see it starting to happen.

Jamiya