1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Who to move to make room?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I got a 10 g, and a 20 g, my 20 is fully stocked (read my signature) and my 10 only got a betta, i wana move some fish from 20 into the 10 to make room for a convict. I want opinions on what fish i should transfer from the 20 to a 10, they both filtered everything the same but the 10 needs decorations. Alot less light in the 10g. (its a homemade one so it dont got a lid.

Opinions Please

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Honestly, I don't think you're going to be able to put a con in the 20. With a male betta in the 10, there's not much you can put with it. You could put the cories in there and maybe the neons (they may or may not nip his fins). The gourami can't go in there because of both aggression & size. The female betta can't go in there because of aggression and neither can the albino tetra. And although the molly & sword tails are somewhat compatible, adding them to the 10 gallon would overstock it (you could maybe put one in there).

That would leave the 20 gallon with a blue gourami, a female betta, albino tetra, and two mollies or a molly & a sword tail. There's not enough room for a con and even if there were, cons tend to be pretty aggressive (I lucked out and mine's pretty mellow, but most aren't) and one would most likely kill at least some of those other fish. I wouldn't put a con in there.

-Chelle

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

All my fish are extreamly calm, specially my albino tetra and female betta, the male betta would be moved into his own 5g if i did do this. I would buy the convict as small i could fine so he wouldnt be aggrasive to the other fish cuz hed be the smallest. all my fish are pretty big, Gourami 4", albino tetra is closing in on 3", the betta is a hiding master mind, the swords are both over 2".... and if i did get my convit, all my fish would have plenty of time to grow before he would be big enough to bully them.

I realy like cichlids thats why i was looking into convicts, but i might just add a few dwarf cichlids into a 10.
    I like big fish aswell, thats y i wanted the convict most of all.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That doesn't always work. I've heard of cons killing oscars 3 times their size. I still wouldn't suggest getting a con unless you could give it it's own tank. Even without the betta in the 10 gallon, you'd still have to leave too many fish in the 20 to be able to fit a con.

-Chelle

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I second t_chelle. My brother tried the same thing, I gave him one of my two inch black convict males and a female, and he put them with his two 10 inch oscars, and when the convict pair started laying eggs at about 3- 3 1/2 inches, they killed both oscars. So that does not always work.

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

sorry but i must agree aswell

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Sigh. i was realy looking forward to 1, but, maybe when a few of my fish die off, (Years) and theres room.. ill add a convict.

8. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

not in all cases.. my "dwarf" oscar (ive had him for 4 months and hes still maybe 1.5 inches and thats why i call him dwarf) beats up my convicts that are each 5 inches