1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my deaf kitten meow and yowl?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by CatsinCanada, Dec 11, 2005.

1. CatsinCanada

CatsinCanada New Member

I recently adopted a deaf kitten from a friend who couldn't keep it. They had her diagnosed as deaf and it is confirmed by her lack of response to sound stimuli. However, she does have a voice, a very loud voice. Can she hear herself yowl? The noises she makes do not seem to be caused by distress although it sounds like it sometimes. I've checked on her when she is yowling and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it other than to keep me up all night. I think she is looking for playmates more than anything. I have 2 other cats but mostly they ignore her. One will play with her sometimes. After the initial introduction and their annoyance at the intruder, the older two cats usually just try to ignore the kitten, although one will occasionally play with her. It just seems strange that she would have such a loud voice or a voice at all. How did she learn to speak?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

One of my cats (normal hearing, although it's selective at times :roll: ) will meow/squak for no apparent reason. She'll just be walking along meowing. Or she'll walk up to me, sit down, and meow. She doesn't want attention, food, or anything, she just wants to announce herself.

-Chelle

3. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

One of my cats will chatter and squeak at night. I used to go running in there and she was just sitting on the scratching post. Don't know why. Sometimes it sounds like she's in distress too but she's not.

4. ACO

ACO New Member

5. HOUSEOF10CATS

HOUSEOF10CATS New Member

I had a deaf white male a few years back, and gosh do I miss that love bug, he's since passed. He too, meowed all the time. He would just "talk" to us and the other cats, or just cry for no apparent reason. I found it strange, too. I often wondered if he did it because he was calling us or the other cats. He always had to be close to someone. I wonder if his disability made him so clingy. The other thing that was weird to us was that when he would be upstairs sleeping, I would open a can of tuna, and that cat was downstairs and at my feet before I even finished draining the water from the can!!! I know he didn't hear the can opener, but often wondered if his sense of smell was stronger. He was the most affectionate cat I've ever owned. I miss him so much. Of all the cats I own, I have never got another all white one. I have every other color, but all white. Kirby could never be replaced. Kirby got his name from riding the canister vaccum. I think he liked the vibration. Since the vaccum was a Kenmore, Kenmore didn't sound so good, thus Kirby.

6. CatsinCanada

CatsinCanada New Member

Deaf cat meows and howls

My kitten, Papillon, is a white cat with 2 blue eyes. She was deaf from birth. I'm not sure what the connection between white cats with 2 blue eyes being deaf but they always are. I grew up with a white cat with one blue eye and one green eye. She wasn't deaf. It was before the time of automatic spaying and neutering so she had many litters of kittens, many with her brother and many that were all white with 2 blue eyes and deaf. Not many of those kittens made it. I like to think Papillon is a distant descendant of my childhood cat, Tinkerbell, and that's probably the biggest reason I adopted her. She is to remain an indoor cat but I will spay her in 2 months, when she is 6 months old. I guess I will just get used to the yowls and noise she makes. She likes to make noise, raking her claws on the furnace grill, batting beaded curtains, knocking things over. But she is a kitten and all this is par for the course. Funny and luckily enough, she hasn't touched the Christmas tree. Keeping my fingers crossed.