1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Why would my cat quit covering her bowel movements?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Sherryg, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Sherryg

Sherryg New Member

That pretty much says it. Aphrodite stopped covering her crap months ago, and the vet has no idea why.

I pretty much have to clean the litterbox everytime I see her leave the room, because the smell is so bad.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

one of my cats has never covered her pooh - she lets my other cat do it :oops:

I think some cats do and some cats don't....

3. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

maybe she just can't be bothered anymore? *smiles a bit*

Lex isnt very thourouh.. but Razberry will go in there and spend a good amount of time covering up his own and anything he feels Lex didnt cover enough. :? :roll:

4. vene

vene New Member

You can pour some fresh litter on top of her poop before scooping and as soon as she does her business to minimize odors. Switching to different types of food will make the poop less smelly. I have 4 cats and 1 litter box.(I scoop 4-5x a day) Sometimes they don't bother to cover up. :roll: I definitely found less smells with Wellness and Solid Gold dry foods and Pro Plan can foods. What brands are they eating from?

5. luna

luna New Member

shadow does that all the time. she'll make a little hole down in the litter and won't cover it up so buster the clean freak goes in there and cpends five minuets covering it.

:qm3:

6. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Maybe it is just a cat thing...some do and some don't. I'm not sure.

We took in Skooter a couple of years back (he was 12 yrs. old) and my Socks wouldn't accept him at all and made his life miserable so we had to find him another home.

Anyways, when he was here he didn't cover his poop either and I sort of thought he was making a statement of some kind to Socks...maybe a territorial issue thing...like to spread his scent.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

max is so fastidious...he scratches and scratches...then he breaks it all up into little clumps...especially when he had all that diarrhea. it was a mess. i would have rather he not covered it up. :shock:

mikey...is very fastidious too. on the "off" times when neither one has gone...he will stand by the litter pan and put one paw in there, and start stroking almost like hes rowing a boat. its funny. he has nothing to cover up...he just instinctually likes to cover. :D

8. luna

luna New Member

i think my cat does it just to be mean to buster because she knows that he is a neat freak.

:qm2:

9. vene

vene New Member

Lynn, your M+M's are so sweet, I'm getting cavities. I wish my kitties would cover better most of the time. :roll:

10. luna

luna New Member

too bad shadow doesn't like to cover, it would smell so much better in the bathroom...

11. Fblack

Fblack New Member

My littel girl is a clean freak. If she misses the litter box, she will drag over a little rubber mat we have near by and cover her accident.

12. nern

nern New Member

In one of the books I was reading it stated that sometimes dominant cats will not cover their stool....as a way of marking I believe. Had there been any changes in your household around the time that she stopped covering? New visitors or new pets?
    My grandmothers cat suddenly stopped covering his when he had tapeworms...once the tapeworms were treated he went back to covering so I guess sometimes this could indicate that something is wrong.
    My cat Chieve does'nt cover when he poops or urinates....I see him dig to cover it but the litter just flys past the mess so in his case I don't think he does it intentionally. One of the other cats usually covers it for him later on.

13. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

i didnt know that nern.... 8) great! my new learning for the day. i can turn off my brain now....

duuuuhhhhhh....

*giggles*

14. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

lol that is funny

15. vene

vene New Member

Sometimes Milo and Rene have minor accidents- they kick the litter so hard that bits and pieces fly out of the box. Then they start digging around the floor trying to cover up. I kinda feel sorry for them. :p

16. luna

luna New Member

wow you have a very considerate kitty.