1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about Kyrre's claws

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Bente, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

Today I was thinking about what Cassie wrote earlier about clipping cats claws, and possble side effects.
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7914

Although I never have clipped Kyrre's claws, I decided to use his daily sleep in mom's lap moment, to check them anyway. Many of them look chipped, so now i'm wondering if that's normal..? I was thinking it might be the outer layer sheding (?), but it doesn't look at all like Booger's husk on Cassie's picture... I tried to take some pictures, but it was hard to get a good close up.

The green arrow points at the actual claw tip (it's hard to see it, but it's there). The red arrow points at the tip of the chipping.
    [​IMG]

Is this a result of me not clipping his claws? I thought outdoor cats normally didn't need to be clipped?
    He also has a indoor scratching board he use several times a day... Any ideas on what might cause this, and if it's bad for my little baby? :0011:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D My previous kitty Handsome (rest in peace) was also an indoor outdoor cat. I also never had the need to trim his nails. However, he did often have nails that looked a bit like how you are describing above. My vet said that it's just from them climbing trees and such and it's nothing to worry about, unless there is swelling in their paws/limping or blood.

3. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Bente, I think that's just a loose husk. I bet if you pulled at it it would probably come right off. It looks like the new nail underneith just poked it's head out before the husk fell off.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I was thinking too it'll probably come off rather easily with a tug or push

5. Bente

Bente New Member

I tried to pull it off, but it seemed to me like it got thicker closer to the root (?), and I was afraid to rip of a big part of his claw... I think I'll wait a while and see though. It's time for some shots again soon, so I can ask the vet then. Thanks! :y_the_best:

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I've seen that on Copper. I thought it was from him chewing on his nails. He is an inside only cat and has several scratching posts. Does Kyrre bite his nails?

7. Bente

Bente New Member

No, not that I've seen. He do bite on his paws while cleaning himself sometimes, but that's probably just a way to remove dirt, stuck in his fur.

8. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Bente, I doubt it's anything out of the norm...But do point it out to your vet and ask about it and let us know what he say's. I'm curious. I'm thinking that the claw grew and broke through the husk tip before the base was ready to shead.

9. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Bente, I was thinking about your post and recall reading an article a while back on how to clip kitty claws. I recall one saying that you should clip them top to bottom and not side to side because that could cause fraying of the nail...maybe that's what's happened. What do you think? Have you had a chance to show your vet and ask about it?

10. Bente

Bente New Member

I haven't clipped Kyrre's claws, so I don't think thats got anything to do with it. (How is it possible to clip them side to side btw? #-o ) We haven't been to the vet yet. I've been stuck inside with a flu (sp?) for a couple of days, but I'm going to book an appointment after work tomorrow. I hope it's nothing wrong, at least it doesn't seem to bother him...

I'll keep you updated on kyrre's toes :wink: :mrgreen:

11. angiew

angiew New Member

it looks perfectly normal and nothing to worry about

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

christopher has very hard claws...and they dont shed like that...but mikey and max's claws shed. the nail splits sometimes, and either falls off, they chew it off, or i pull it off when i clip their nails. sometimes i wonder if it spliits like that because they arent getting enough of a particular nutrient. but they all eat the same food...premium...wellness canned, chicken soup and w/d. and christophers are just fine...very strong. i think its like people. some people have very hard nails that dont break easily and other peoples nails chip and split. i wouldnt worrry about it either...unless there is soreness or an abcess.... :wink:

13. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

poor Kyrre baby! *snugs*

dont worry hun, the boyz's nails get like that sometimes. cats claws shed from the outside in too.