1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about My Kittens

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by darkrabbit213, Oct 17, 2004.

1. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

So, Jon, the owner of my babies' mother, decided it would be wonderful to give my 7 wk old kittens a bath today. They are all soaking and freezing. So I packed them into the kitten condo with blankets and put the space heater nearby. He used some kind of human soap too. I am ready to ring his neck. Bath wipes are good enough. They don't need this stupid ***** giving them a bath.

Does anyone know how harmful this is and what else I can do for them? I'm worried they'll lick the soap off themselves if they weren't rinsed well enough, and get sick from the soap. The vet is closed today so I'll have to wait until Monday if they get sick! I'm keeping a very close eye on them.

2. vene

vene New Member

Hi Bunny. Missed you since you haven't been around in a while. I love your pic! :eek: :eek: :eek: About the babies. If you are worried about the soap residues, I'd rewash them and dry them up real good and keep them toasty warm. They should be fine. Occassional washes are ok. I've read that somewhere just don't remember the site.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

cats really don't require human intervention for bathing unless they've gotten into something. Like Vene suggested - I'd give them a good rinsing and if you have blow dryer set it on low and keep it quite a bit away from them and that'll dry them quickly. When you're done go give that guy a good kick in the arse

4. Bente

Bente New Member

I really don't know anything about this, but my guess is that they'll do just fine if you keep them warm until they dry :)

I had almost the same problem earlier today. I was on my way out when i heard the sound of a big crash in the livingroom,
    followed by a *splash!* and a *meeow!*

My first reaction: :shock:

Second reaction, when i sow Kyrre: :lol:

My dear kitty gets a little too excited sometimes, and then he'll just run around until he hits something.
    This time he hit a bucket of soap water...

I don't know if he jumped inside it or if he just bumped into it, but he got veery wet :mrgreen:
    Water all over the floor. I worried about him licking of the soap too, but i had to run to catch a bus so i didn't have the time to wash him (just wrapped him up in a towel). He seems just fine now :wink:

5. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Try to have talk with Jon and explain to him that cats/kitten do not require bathing unless they are soooo dirty that whatever is on them might harm them if swallowed, or if they have fleas. My kitten had fleas before she was 12 weeks old and the vet said to use Johnson's baby shampoo. This should be the only "soap" used on a kitten. I wouldn't recommend using those bath wipes you were talking about either, maybe just a wet paper towel with water.

Like Vene and Mary said..if your worried give them another rinse. Hopefully Jon had half a brain cell to rinse them well enough for you not to worry too much.

Smell their fur....does it really smell like soap a lot?
    Feel the fur...can you feel residue from soap?

If you answered no than I wouldn't worry too much.

One more idea.....maybe wet a smell area on them and see if you see soapy bubbles....

6. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Well i think everyone bout covered it but i just wanted to say if god forbid kitties do get sick, which i doubt, I'm sure if you look in the yellow pages you could find a emergency clinic, but just for the record i'm sure they'll be fine and umm i agree with mary on the "arse" kicking lol :mrgreen:

7. nern

nern New Member

Sounds like your doing things right so far. I agree with re-rinsing them if you think there is still soap residue on them. I had to give Rhiannon a bath the day I brough her home because she was so infested with fleas and reeked of urine. I used cat shampoo, rinsed her really well, dried her as best I could with a towel and then wrapped her up in a new dry towel until she was completely dry.

8. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

=P~ hang in there rabbit....welcome to meowmyhood... :shock:

when max was little, it seemed like there was always something goin on...some crisis...first one thing, and then the rest...mikey was pretty much full grown when i got him in august...(although hes gained a pound or so...) and hes been healthy since i got him.

i started using baby wipes on max when he was three months old...he had diarrhea constantly...i had to wipe his butt and paws every time he got out of the kitty box....so baby wipes are okay...but for something like this...i would rinse and dry...poor litttle wee ones!

group hug :wink:

:m21:

9. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone!! (I was only expecting a few). So, Jon left immediatley after torturing the little guys, and I took them into the bathroom and let the play in a shallow bath a little bit so they wouldn't be scared of the water (they seem to like it :wink: ). And I wiped them with my kitten safe bath cloths (i checked the ingrediants it said water, preservatives and mild shampoo/condition for kittens) but I only wiped them little, just enough to smooth out the craziness that had been done to their fur and rinsed them reeeeaaaal good. They seem just fine.They had a blast with the blow dryer... but I stopped because I was worried they would melt. They are happyand dry now! Blaze is sitting on my lap, he says :

Blaze: hiiiiiiiiii===.

Thanks for the advice, Vene, Mary, Lynn, Nern, wtpooh & SugarLovesPits.

Haha, and Bente that's a hillarious story!

:D

10. Bente

Bente New Member

Just wanted to add something.

Before we moved in together, my boyfriend had a cat that wouldn't wash himself... He didn't even try, i have no idea why :?
    We had to wash him like every other week or so...

Here he is, after a shower
    [​IMG]

:lol:

11. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

hahah that is so hilarious!

cats look so funny when they're wet, hehe.

thanks for sharing :D

12. vene

vene New Member

LMAO Bente! :mrgreen:

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

great stories!! great photo...

rabbit...so glad you got them washed and dried real well. sounds like a kitty adventure!!! :eek:

14. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

how are the little ones tonight rabbit??? :0011: :kiss_heart: :m27:

:m34:

15. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

they're all doing just fine!

i guess i didn't have anything to worry about :wink: .

UPDATE: I found out why Jon decided to give them a bath, he said it was to "teach them a lesson" because they were bothering him. Ha! How could they have been bothering him when they were in the room with me before he took them to "play" which really meant he was going to give them a freezing cold bath.

And today he decided to tell us he was going to give three of them to a shelter. I told him that if he gave them away he could kiss this apartment goodbye, seeing as my boyfriend pays all the rent!

16. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Teach them a lesson for bothering him? :roll: I hope he never has kids.

Way to go with threatening to kick him out for threatening your brood. :y_the_best:

17. vene

vene New Member

Bunny, I'm going to be very frank with you. There's something quite wrong with a person that thinks like Jon. The quicker you and Patrick move out on your own the better. I'm quite concerned about the welfare of your furbabies and for yourselves.