1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

YEEPEE I HAVE BABIE GUPIES (FINALLY!!!)

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by kristisanchez, Mar 24, 2004.

1. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

YEEPEE I HAVE BABIE GUPIES (FINALLY!!!)

:eek: I am so happy to say that my guppies had 10 babies yesterday and today there are 26 or 27 YA!!!! I am soooooooo happy. I have a picutre of a few of them I hope every one can see them.

ANYONE WITH EXPERANCE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

HOW LONG DO I KEEP THE MOM IN THE BREADER?
    HOW LONG DO I KEEP THE BABIES IN THE BREADER?

THEY ARE SOOOOOO CUTE.

I hope to have my web page set up soon to show pictures.

Advice is always welcome.

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

Congratulations!!!!

I've been learning about keeping guppy fry too lately. Mine just turned a week old today and they are already 1/4" long and showing some color. I can't advise you on the breeder net because I kept mine in a different tank but I can say that if the mom isn't bothering the babies she probably won't unless she senses some danger from either you or another fish in the tank. I would take her out now just to play it on the safe side. My guppy also had about thirty fry and I generally feed them at least four times a day. I give them a food called First Bites, made by Hikari I think. You can try to crush up your flakes real good and see if they will take those. I took 20 minutes to crush up mine into a powder but my babies weren't interested. Be very diligent about tank maintenance now because you have added a lot more fish and you will be feeding them more. Now is not the time to slack off on water changes.

I don't know how long you will be able to keep 30 fry in a breeding trap because as they grow they will become very cramped. They should at least be big enough so they won't fit in any other fishes mouths when you decide to release them into the main tank. What kind of fish do you have in your tank? This will probably be the deciding factor for when they can be released. If you get some Hornwort you can float it on the top to give them an extra food source and a place to hide.

Good Luck!

Tina

3. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

Lucky! I tried breeding guppies (after the betas didn't work out, I don't think fish want to make me a grandparent!) and ALL of the guppies got Ich and died, even though I treated it! Then I broke the aquarium while trying to clean it. NOt quite sure what happened, but now there is a little crack. I can use it for something besides fish, just not fish. I have no idea what to put in there though.

4. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

:D I only have guppies in this tank. BUT SAD TO SAY I think the mom has betten up one of my other females and she is dieing :cry: But the babies are doing great :eek: . They are eatting the crushed flakes- it looks like they do anyways, but I will look for the other food also.

ABOUT BREADING: It took me a few months to get sterty gupies that would not die. Then my male died (I know the big mama was bitting him I saw her, Took him out but he dies 2 days later :( which was sad because I thought I would never have babies).

I took the mom out today and she seems happy. One of my smaller gupies really wants to get to the babies and eat them. (before I had put them in the breader my smallest gupies would try to eat them (BAD GUPIE!!).

So in a few weeks they should get big anough to let into the bigger tank.

I have this tank set up at work and the students I wourk with have been so excited to see the babies. My husband and I are going to get a new tank for our kids at home so we can being some of the babies home once they are big enough.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW BIG OR HOW LONG I SHOULD WAIT TO TAKLE THE BABIES OUT INTO A NEW TANK-BY THEMSELVES???

THANK YOU BOTH FOR REPLYING TO MY MESSAGE.

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR FISH!

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Whoops! Kristina, I just replied to my guppy message called "poor, poor guppies" on accident. Read the end of that post, it's my reply to your other questions.

6. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

i never had luck with guppies

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

Congratulations

Congratulations!!!! just wanted to say Congratulations it is allways fun raising your own baby fish to adults

8. t_h_e_s_a_c_k

t_h_e_s_a_c_k New Member

Congrats!

I tried breeding guppies once...

I tried.

9. Hooben

Hooben New Member

If you take the babies home, try to re-create the tank at work...The filter intakes can swallow up baby fry very quickly. I wouldn't hesitate moving them once you see they are eating well and your tank at home is stable.

10. Science

Science New Member

true to that hooben
    :idea:

11. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Thank you to everyone for posting your replies.

It is great to have this support from others who know and have had experence.

I look forward to hearing more. I will post more as the new fry get bigger (I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE HOW FAST THEY GROW!)

I hope to hear for everyone again soon.

AND TINA, THANKS I REPILIED TO YOU AS WELL IN YOUR "POOR POOR GUPPIES" FORM.

Kristina Sanchez

12. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

I am working on getting good pictures posted.

Sorry It is taking me so long. I do not have a lot of time to play with getting the picures posted.

I will post one I know it is small I will work on getting the picure larger.

[​IMG]

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

Honestly Kristina, I never turned my filter off or even covered it up when my babies were first born (you mentioned this in the other topic). They've never been sucked up or even gone near the filter intake. You can cover your filter with a cut piece of panty hose or something similar if you want to. Since mine were doing fine without any interference I never saw the need to fix something that wasn't broken. But it's up to you.

14. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

WOW

TINA,

I had heard that the fry get sucked in teh filter but I am not sure if the student at work really know or not.

For now please look at my FRY on the link below http://community.webshots.com/user/kristinasanchez

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT DOES NOT WORK

I HOPE TO HAVE MORE PICTURES POSTED SOON

15. tina1

tina1 New Member

It's true, guppy fry can be sucked into filters. Many people do put the panty hose over the intake or just use small corner or sponge filters instead so they won't have to risk it. I was simply saying that I haven't had that experience. And yes your link worked, they're very cute! Mine are 2 weeks old now and are about 1/2" long and show lots of black and a little tiny bit of color. How are yours doing?

16. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

The fry are so darn cute the kids at work love them. They seem to be bigger already and they are eating real well now. My small (well smaller than my big mother) guppy really seems to want to eat the fry. She (I think) keeps tapping on the plastic breeder they are in. I have been taking a lot of pictures and I will post on Thursday. (Today and tomorrow I do no have time to down load and everything).

I hope we can keep in contact. So we can compare how the fry are doing. I have 27 (maybe 26 but I think 27). I plain on keeping 1/2 of them at home and the other 1/2 in a separate tank in tell they are bigger.

So do you think it will be ok if they do not have a filter for a while? Or should I wait and keep the 13 or so in the breeder in tell they get bigger?

Have a great day!

Glad to hear your fry are doing so well. I look forward to seeing my fry grow. I will have to have a drawing soon for the students to name them-I have a lady at work who would like to take a few when they get bigger. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH

17. tina1

tina1 New Member

I would really get them a filter of some sort. What part of CA are you in? I'm near Sacramento and the little corner filters they sell here are usually less than $10. But I dunno, it just seems unnatural to me to have fish without a filter lol. For now it would probably be best to leave them in the breeder until they get too big for it.

Also, my guppy had about 27 or so too, but they're really hard to count! On a sad note with my guppies, I found my first deformed one the other day. It looks like it has a saddleback :cry: But the funny thing is, the three people I have lined up to take them are now fighting over who gets the deformed one so I'm sure it'll be ok!

Keep in touch Kristina, this is kinda fun having someone to share my guppy fever with!

18. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Wow poor guppie

I LIVE IN RIVERSIDE
    I agree it is great to have someone to talk to. I hope we can contunie to keep eachother up to date on their growth. Yours are about 1 week older than mine, but they are colse.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I am just having fun watching them. the students always run in to see how they are doing, I do not even think any of they have noticed that the other female died :cry: BAD mom guppy I think she killed it, so I got another one just like her and sh attackeed that one to (I am not sure why).

Sad to hear about the poor guppy who is deformend. But is great that he is wanted. I can tell already that I have a few that are bigger than the others and two that seem to be just a bit smaller.

I hope to see your pictures of the fry soon. I will work on getting better quality pics on this weekend or next week. (SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG I AM WORKING, MARRIED, RASING 3 KIDS, AND TAKING 18 UNITS THIS SEMESTER AND I AM POOPED.) ](*,)

I hope the little guy is ok.

KEEP IN TOUCH

19. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wow. I bow to you, I'm only taking 12 units and working part time and I'm still out of it. Here's the best pics I could get, they move so darn fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I know what you mean about having some that stay small. I can see about three that hardly look any larger than they did when they were born.

20. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

GREAT PIC

That is a great pic. I need to learn how to get a good size pic into my message.

Your fry look good. GREAT PICTURE. I know they are so fast. I take a picuture and I just try to get as many in the picutre as I can. Your tank looks like you have some great plants as well.

I hope to reply with more pics this weekend. I had to leave work a little early so I could go take a test :|.

:-({|= (just kidding-I am the one who decided to take 18 units, but i do not think I will ever do it again :) )

But I do not think I will take 18 units again it has been very hard with work, home, the kids and now the fish. I am just glad my husband can help around the house. I will be done soon (thank God!) and I start my Creditional program right after that.

Thank you for posting pictures it is good to see how your fry are growing to compair to mine.

kristisanchez@charter.net