1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Yellowish Water

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, May 17, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey everbody, alright so my 5 gallon tank has been goin for about a month now and my 5 guppies are very happy and have been doing well but for the last couple of days my water has been taking on a yellowish tint, i can still see through it and my fish dont seem to mind at all.

Readings -

Ammonia - 0.02
    NitrIte - 0.00

I still don't have anything to read my nitrAtes but I do about a 20-25% water change weekly, does anyone know what might be causing this? I wouldn't care as much if people would stop asking "is your tank diseased or something?"

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Do you have any driftwood in the tank?

-Chelle

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Um nope, Im not sure what that is, right now i have a little platic sorta of cave formation and my artifical plant.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Your ammonia is a bit high, but I don't think it's enough to turn your water yellow. Have you tried checking the water out of your tap? I know at my house anytime they do anything to the water lines our water runs yellow (from rust) for a few days afterwards.

-Chele

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

what chemicals do you use in the water. i tryed a sample of cleaning chemicals for freshwater tanks and mie went kinda yellow

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Actually at the advice of my lfs and since my tank is rather small I only use "springwater" which has worked out nicely, only 63 Cents a gallon jug at the grocery store.

Edit: since its established I havent added anything except a few drops of ammo guard 2 to get the ammonia down on occasion its way up and even that was about a week and a half ago.

7. OneWolvesDream

whats IFs?

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Local/little fish store

9. OneWolvesDream

oooo ok thanks. now that i look at my tank it looks a lill on the brown side. though its hard to see because of the tank divider its a lill bit of misty white (the tank divider)

10. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Well the yellow water hadnt gone away and while I was doin a bit of maintance I noticed that I had frogtten to put the light protector on and thus it had gathered alot of residue, so i wiped that off and got instant results, then going a step furter I covered the reflection plate with blue wrap stuff so now i have a cool blue tint!

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Don't you love simple solutions? Two of my tanks get a lot of algae on the lids, and I was just noticing today that when it starts getting bad the tank does start looking yellowish. I just didn't think of it when you first posted.

Now if I could just figure out a way to keep the algae off the lid . . . .

-Chelle

12. Obelix

Obelix New Member

im not sure... always make me feel sorta dumb :oops: , but hey it solved the problem. You might not have as much algea if you lower the water level a little bit next time you do a water change. good luck :y_the_best:

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Probably. But I really hate having he water level below the trim on the tank. It just really bugs me for some reason.

Actually, come to think of it, the 2 tanks that have the problem are in my family room which is in the basement. So maybe there's more humidity down there than where the other tanks are.

-Chelle

14. tina1

tina1 New Member

Same thing happens with my tanks Chelle. I've noticed though that the algae doesn't grow as fast when I keep the water level up as high as it will go. Its when it evaporates that the algae starts to grow. I'm always amazed at how clean my tanks look after just cleaning that glass piece.